Montana deer tag costs

Waterfowl no not sure on bears but I'd say tag probably just because of the style of hunting.

Hell I gotta pay $160 to hunt ducks 2 hours away from my house in a different state.

I used to think I was really getting poked in the eye to paying $120 or whatever for 14 days on hunting waterfowl in ND, but now I kind of look at it as a steal.

Man... I wonder if the NR price was lower guys would be more likely to pass on small bucks. Some bros from my home town went out to MT and all they all shot 1.5 year old bucks and loved it. I ain't hating on their decision to shoot dinks off the road, or Montana's pricing, but I gotta think there's room for changes that could improve things for everyone. I'll likely end up in MT for mule deer at some point in the next 1-3 years myself.

Plenty of big deer in Montana, They tend to live where people are not. Get off of the beaten path and you may surprise yourself. Or dont get off the beaten path and save them for me :p

If they loved it, why would they change their ways if it was cheaper? I would think the opposite. Guys that shoot dinks from the road do it because they don't want to work harder to shoot something bigger. They will not work harder if you lower the cost.
Plenty of Montana residents with cheap $20 tags that shoot dinks . Ain’t just the NRs . When I stop at the local Montana watering holes and restaurants I see plenty of Montana pickups with 2 and 3 point mule deer in the back

Plenty of Montana residents with cheap $20 tags that shoot dinks . Ain’t just the NRs . When I stop at the local Montana watering holes and restaurants I see plenty of Montana pickups with 2 and 3 point mule deer in the back

This has been my experiences as well. As a matter of fact in the areas I've hunted NR hunters as a whole seem to hunt harder and shoot nicer deer because of the amount of skin they have in the game with the license cost. My buddies I was referring to earlier usually shoot the run of the mill 4 points 2.5 or 3.5 years old. This past year the area they hunted was awful in central MT on private. I think the state as a whole the last decade has suffered and went downhill without question.

Last edited:
Plenty of big deer in Montana, They tend to live where people are not. Get off of the beaten path and you may surprise yourself. Or dont get off the beaten path and save them for me :p
Just have to work harder to shoot that nice “160” buck.

My 2 cents is that sure it is a pricey tag, I just paid the fee on two. I could by all my hunting a fishing licenses for every species and method for the next 15 years here at home for what I just spent. We will also be driving 23 hours one way to get there. I think it will be money and time well spent.

This is our first western hunt and I wanted to do it somewhere with somewhat mild country and elevation along with a decent population of deer. I want to make sure that my son has an enjoyable experience. I would love for him to get hooked on hunting in the west so that we can have a regular father son trip somewhere out there until I get too old to hack it. All the hours of research pointed me to Region 7 Montana.

I have seen all the talk about how it is over hunted and there are not a lot of older age class bucks out there but I don’t care. I imagine that compared to the crowded public land we hunt down here in Louisiana it will be desolate. I also imagine the change in scenery will be spectacular.

Now that I have reached a point in my life that I can better afford it, I’ll pony up a few grand for priceless experiences and memories. Matter of fact I feel like I can’t afford not to.

If they loved it, why would they change their ways if it was cheaper? I would think the opposite. Guys that shoot dinks from the road do it because they don't want to work harder to shoot something bigger. They will not work harder if you lower the cost.

you’re right the road dink shooters will always be with us no matter the price of the tag, but I also think my logic is sound in thinking that if the tag was cheaper guys might be liable to pass on a smaller buck and risk going home empty handed. Or maybe not, guys hate going home empty handed regardless of the price.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back