Montana deer or antelope

Tyler1215

Hello all - I want to take a trip to Montana next season. I have 2 points for deer and antelope. Curious what would give me a better hunt. A 2 point mule deer hunt or a 2 point antelope hunt?

I understand the tags aren't given and I will have to get drawn. I don't have enough time off work to chance getting drawn for both so I'm trying to decide if I should try to get lucky with a deer tag or antelope. For antelope I'm thinking a 700 tag which would be roughly a 50% chance of drawing. Deer I would choose something with similar odds, like hunt district 530. I will also put my wife in for the same hunt on a different application to increase our chances of atleast one of use getting drawn. She also has two points for both. We just want to make the trip and curious which option would provide a better hunt/chance at being successful. Not looking for a monster by any means but we do want to get one. All thoughts and opinions appreciated

If you have 2 deer bonus points I take it you have 2 preference point for a general tag. Lots of places you could go with that and have a good hunt.

Do you have 2 pref points for a NR combination license (deer tag) ? If so then it’s easy - you have to apply for deer or your points are gone . Antelope bonus points you can buy for 20 years without applying

I have 2 bonus points, no preference points. I feel like either one would be a good trip. I guess I'm more looking for opinions on whether you guys would try and draw antelope and build a couple more bonus points for deer or vis versa. Thanks for any and all replies

I have 2 bonus points, no preference points. I feel like either one would be a good trip. I guess I'm more looking for opinions on whether you guys would try and draw antelope and build a couple more bonus points for deer or vis versa. Thanks for any and all replies
Depends on what area your trying to draw a limited entry permit for deer ?

I’m pretty sure you would first need to draw the general deer tag before your bonus points would even come into play for a limited deer permit.
I guess I don't understand this. I have to first draw the general tag and then apply for a permit hunt?

Your odds are much higher to draw the antelope permit. You basically would need to get lucky twice to draw the deer permit. You must first draw the general deer tag with no preference points and then draw the deer permit with your 2 bonus points. If that makes sense. I've never drawn a deer permit in MT and have applied for a fairly easy permit at least 6 times in the bridgers.

I’m guessing it’s just ANOTHER guy that doesn’t know the difference between bonus and pref point and wanted the general tag but didn’t do his homework I hope I’m wrong

Deer drawing is finished before antelope applications are due.
Apply for deer first and if unsuccessful apply for antelope.
Deer application deadline is March 15 with draw results mid April.
Antelope deadline is June 1 with results in August.

Other than having points why Montana?
Last year was my first time hunting a state beside my home (Arizona). We hunted antelope in Wyoming. It was a blast. I would like to do another trip next year and since I barely started getting points in other states I figured Montana would be my next possible draw. Knowing what I found out today, deer will take more time. I'll put in for montana 700 antelope and hope I get lucky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back