Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana deer/elk due TODAY

I really really hope I do not draw. Timing is bad and it would put a major damper on my life. Same goes for the big three in May. Please do not give me any special draw tags this year. It would be not good for me in so many ways. It would probably ruin my life. I really mean it this time.

There, lets see if that works.
Sounds similar. I've got a lifetime of bonus points for the new Custer tag so I've got a good shot at it. If we draw we'll have a good crew in camp this year ready to do damage and hunt a little too. #sniperschool #coldsmoke #craftbeer

Question: The deadline for applying for Non- Resident Deer Combo license was last night 03/15/2019. After speaking with a lady in Licensing in Helena, I applied for the Deer Combo license. She told me to click on "only" Deer Combo AND "Deer Permit". I now know that I was "mistakenly" misguided by her. I have since found out that I "DO NOT NEED" a permit to hunt the area (with a friend that is a Montana resident), that I was intending to hunt. A Non-Resident Deer Combo is all that I need. "But" because it was getting close to the "clock cut off time", and I couldn't reach my contacts in Montana, I just clicked on 3 separate divisions so that I could complete the transaction before the cut off time of 11:30 MST. I chose "very randomly" 1st Choice 652. Second Choice 130 and Third Choice 214.
It appears that theres little to no chance that I'll draw the 1st or 2nd choice (which I'm very glad of), but my 3rd choice has extremely high draw odds. I don't want to hunt in "any" of these special permit areas. I simply need the Non-Resident Deer Combo (which comes with the Base Hunting License). So if I do draw one of these "Permits", am I "required" to hunt only in that Permit Division/Region, or can I just not use the permit that I drew and hunt in the area that I originally planned to hunt that only requires the Deer Combo License ??

Question: The deadline for applying for Non- Resident Deer Combo license was last night 03/15/2019. After speaking with a lady in Licensing in Helena, I applied for the Deer Combo license. She told me to click on "only" Deer Combo AND "Deer Permit". I now know that I was "mistakenly" misguided by her. I have since found out that I "DO NOT NEED" a permit to hunt the area (with a friend that is a Montana resident), that I was intending to hunt. A Non-Resident Deer Combo is all that I need. "But" because it was getting close to the "clock cut off time", and I couldn't reach my contacts in Montana, I just clicked on 3 separate divisions so that I could complete the transaction before the cut off time of 11:30 MST. I chose "very randomly" 1st Choice 652. Second Choice 130 and Third Choice 214.
It appears that theres little to no chance that I'll draw the 1st or 2nd choice (which I'm very glad of), but my 3rd choice has extremely high draw odds. I don't want to hunt in "any" of these special permit areas. I simply need the Non-Resident Deer Combo (which comes with the Base Hunting License). So if I do draw one of these "Permits", am I "required" to hunt only in that Permit Division/Region, or can I just not use the permit that I drew and hunt in the area that I originally planned to hunt that only requires the Deer Combo License ??

JJones,,,,, You WILL draw the 214-50 permit if you are successful in drawing the "Deer Combo" as it is an UNLIMITED permit. The permit will limit you to hunting mule deer in that HD only but will allow you to hunt whitetail state wide excuding HD455.

Attachments

• 214-50.JPG
    214-50.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 6
JJones,,,,, You WILL draw the 214-50 permit if you are successful in drawing the "Deer Combo" as it is an UNLIMITED permit. The permit will limit you to hunting mule deer in that HD only but will allow you to hunt whitetail state wide excuding HD455.
Mtnhunter1,
Then I "assume" there's no way out of it at this point is there ? I had planned to hunt with a couple of friends ,of which one is a Ranch Owner in Eastern Montana. Now that I've pulled the trigger on this "permit" thing then I guess there's probably no need to try and call "licensing" on Monday and try to drop the permit part of it ? Right ? I don't know a single person anywhere near HD 214 and at 54 years old, I'm too beat up physically and not willing to go it alone. Am I "assuming" correctly on this ? Thank you so much for your help.

Why did you wait until 1130pm on the last possible day to apply? Hope it works out, but cant blame anybody but yourself for that one...

Reactions: LCH
Mtnhunter1,
Then I "assume" there's no way out of it at this point is there ? I had planned to hunt with a couple of friends ,of which one is a Ranch Owner in Eastern Montana. Now that I've pulled the trigger on this "permit" thing then I guess there's probably no need to try and call "licensing" on Monday and try to drop the permit part of it ? Right ? I don't know a single person anywhere near HD 214 and at 54 years old, I'm too beat up physically and not willing to go it alone. Am I "assuming" correctly on this ? Thank you so much for your help.
This is exactly why I apply early. Especially if I'm unfamiliar with the application process.

Does the ranch you're headed to hold whitetails?

Mtnhunter1,

When you get the results of the draw in a month or so call the FWP licensing division and tell them you want to drop the permit portion and just have the general tag.

When you get the results of the draw in a month or so call the FWP licensing division and tell them you want to drop the permit portion and just have the general tag.
Thank you very much
Why did you wait until 1130pm on the last possible day to apply? Hope it works out, but cant blame anybody but yourself for that one...
Rustneversleeps, I agree. My fault

I put in for a "glory tag." No real hope of drawing but there is enough decent general areas I'm not to concerned if I don't draw. Maybe someday I'll actually get one...

They might let you turn a permit back in. I had a buddy draw a permit and was going to hunt with someone in that area, then their plans fell through mid summer and FWP let him give it back. If they don’t, you can only hunt mule deer in that unit.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back