Montana bulls?

mtmuley

Kinda quiet from the Montana guys out on the opener weekend. Just wondering how guys are doing. mtmuley

Stayed home.

Taking time off from work the 11th through the 20th. Going to see if there's a bull out there stupid enough for me to stick a arrow into.

I opted for antelope and rodeo with friends...taking a bunch of days off later towards the rut. I've not talked to many people but it sounds like there are quite a few hunters down here since fires closed a ton of country. I know of a couple dandy bulls shot down in Wyoming.

Was wondering the same thing. Opening morning I busted a bunch outta the trees. The basin I was in was socked in with clouds and you could see maybe 60 yards. Saw a stud day 2 and been trying to work behind the private he was on but I think they know what they're doing.

First time posting pictures. Not sure how to turn them.

Attachments

• IMG_8089.jpg
    IMG_8089.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,392
  • IMG_5600.JPG.jpg
    IMG_5600.JPG.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,395
I've been in the Castles for three days. Opening morning they were vocal. Other than that, quite. Busted 1 cow and another snuck up behind me on my afternoon sit. The area I've been going now has cattle in it, so all the wallow are torn up. Taking a rest in White Sulphur and a Mint Burger while I decide my next move.

Didn't draw my bull permit.... so with a B tag and my general tag I am on cow / spike patrol. I am sure I'll get some crap.... but I REALLY like eating calves and there are no shortage of them out here. Was a good bull with the group I was on this morning...but I got what I was after.

Headed back out in a bit to see about filling the other tag... trying to decide if I should hang onto it and head west to a general area to chase bulls.

Attachments

• SAM_0755-2.jpg
    SAM_0755-2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,391
Missed two bulls opening morning. Tried to slip one between two saplings but center punched one instead and shot the wrong pin not once but twice on a decent 6. Both shots broke clean but fell short.

Between the thunder and lightning on opening morning and the torrential downpour nothing was moving..day two too quiet heard some wolves in the evening so that explains that..did have a bull sneak in quiet on us but he busted us..day three thought all hell would break loose sun out, 28 degrees and still not a sound. Heard more bugles last week when it was 80, go figure..

Opener for me had A snow storm roll in and sock the mtn in with clouds. Day two was very windy and nothing was out in glassing view. This morning jumped a few small bucks and had nothing come in to the wallow I sat. Think I was a day late on the wallow cause there was sign from the day before. Hoping this next week improves a little for my area. Told my wife I wasn't shaving until I shot an elk so it could be a long time before she see's my face again.

Elkwhisper---

I have always said if I could shoot a calf or yearling elk every year I would do it in a heartbeat! Thats great eating right there.

I keep waiting for Matt (Elkdiesel) to do a quick write up but we certainly had a great opener. My son had a chance at a rag horn and froze up and we connected on this guy after slipping through a slew of cows and strong wind. Greenhorn isn't out yet so maybe he'll have something to show for his efforts.
Here's a teaser picture. Hopefully he gets on and posts the story behind the hunt.

Matt packout.jpg

Last edited:
Spotted four bulls and a bear on the opener. This bull was the best

Attachments

• 100_0273.jpg
    100_0273.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,077
The elk were SILENT in SW MT for me, but was lucky and able to cut my tag. No shortage of elk though.
Next week I'll be out drooling over the screaming bulls as I try to fill my B tag.

Good luck to all.

Montana Bulls?

Leaving tonight... Going to spike out in the Big Hole for a week.
Hopefully they will start making some noise!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back