Montana bull

JT88

IMG_20201030_120304_916.jpgMontana bull down! Finally got out after an eventful but unsuccessful archery season. I learned a lot this year. Lots of close calls, missed a bull (arrow hit a branch 😣), numerous bugles/ bulls coming in with bad wind etc... Anyway, I went out on Thursday at about 11am and hiked up to the spot I've been hunting during archery season. I finally made the ridge and went sneaking thru the timber in about a foot of melting snow. It ended up working perfect - not too noisy.
Anyway sure enough, near the top of the ridge I saw brown - an elk about 75 yards away thru the thick timber. Held still and glassed, found 3 others with him. Ended up being 4 bulls, 2 bedded and two standing. Not spooked but sort of just curious. I think they saw movement but I was walking into the wind. I waited for this bull to step into my shooting lane and fired the old 7 mag... As the other bulls split I watched him go out of sight another direction and heard him crash. He went about 20 yards. I walked up there and said a prayer of thanks to God for giving me the opportunity and freedom to hunt and harvest this beautiful animal. Took me 3 hours to butcher and bag him up. Called my brother who brought in a sled and we packed and sledded him out 2.5 miles to the truck. The temperature had risen to about 50 and the foot of snow had turned the road into a disaster on the way out. We found out 4 wheel drive still works on both of our trucks... It was an amazing day. Have fun out there, be safe and give the glory where it's due.

Jordan

Amazing story of grit and persistence - and stealth. Congratulations! Like you, I always give thanks to God...sometimes just for the gift of being out to enjoy his creation.

Congrats!!! Sounds like a great hunt, even if it didn’t work out the way that you wanted in archery season

View attachment 160282Montana bull down! Finally got out after an eventful but unsuccessful archery season. I learned a lot this year. Lots of close calls, missed a bull (arrow hit a branch 😣), numerous bugles/ bulls coming in with bad wind etc... Anyway, I went out on Thursday at about 11am and hiked up to the spot I've been hunting during archery season. I finally made the ridge and went sneaking thru the timber in about a foot of melting snow. It ended up working perfect - not too noisy.
Anyway sure enough, near the top of the ridge I saw brown - an elk about 75 yards away thru the thick timber. Held still and glassed, found 3 others with him. Ended up being 4 bulls, 2 bedded and two standing. Not spooked but sort of just curious. I think they saw movement but I was walking into the wind. I waited for this bull to step into my shooting lane and fired the old 7 mag... As the other bulls split I watched him go out of sight another direction and heard him crash. He went about 20 yards. I walked up there and said a prayer of thanks to God for giving me the opportunity and freedom to hunt and harvest this beautiful animal. Took me 3 hours to butcher and bag him up. Called my brother who brought in a sled and we packed and sledded him out 2.5 miles to the truck. The temperature had risen to about 50 and the foot of snow had turned the road into a disaster on the way out. We found out 4 wheel drive still works on both of our trucks... It was an amazing day. Have fun out there, be safe and give the glory where it's due.

Jordan
Congrats on your Elk!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back