Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana Bird Hunting

Hemorrhage

I decided there's no time like the present to start bird hunting n Montana. My brother knows a rancher north of great falls along HWY 2. I believe it's closer to Favre. We're going to hunt some block management tracks the second week of December for pheasants, huns, and sharpies. We might be pressing our luck with the weather but we'll give it a shot.

I assume the birds will be more concentrated by then. Any suggestions or input?

Where is this place you call Favre? ;)

It is not the greatest year for uplands, but you should be able to find a few. I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. A little cold and snow will help concentrate the birds and as long as it is not too cold to get out you should do fine.

I live in Havre, so let me know if you need anything. If you don't want to motel it, let me know. I have a couple beds. Nothing fancy, but cheaper. Dogs always welcome, as long as they don't beat up mine. ;)

Best of luck and if nothing else, let me know how things turner out for you.

Favre, Montana? I have lived on and traveled the Hi-Line my whole life and am not familiar with Favre, Montana Maybe it is close to Joe :) . Anyway mtmiller has the scoop for you.

Nemont

I think I will stick to Have-er. I haven't heard anyone call it fav-rhay (probably because they got sheet-stomped soon afterwards). ;) :D

No, I'm pretty sure it's Favre, MT. And Brett Havre plays for the Green Bay Packers.....OK, I'm an idiot. Sorry to misspell your hometown there, miller.

You're offer is very nice, mtmiller. I have enough marriott rewards to get free hotel nights in Great Falls. Although, this will still leave us an hour or so drive to hunt each morning.

It should be a fun trip even if we just get a couple birds. Another negative is that we are dogless. We are just going to stomp around and try to flush them ourselves. Again, it'll just be fun to see some new country.

Any block management area suggestions near great fallls in case we need a plan B?

Thanks again
Hemorrhage

Your brother's rancher friend must live closer to Big Sandy then Havre if you are only driving an hour to hunt. Great Falls to Havre is about 110 miles.

Nemont

Hemorrhage, I don't know much about the BMA's around GF, but can send you a BMA booklet for Region 6 if you would like (covers north of Havre to about 50 miles south). I will be out of town until next week, but can send it out if you don't have one. PM me an address if that helps you out. If you are around Big Sandy, you should find some birds (pheasants, sharpies and huns). Best of luck.

I am getting the feeling that you feel the Marriott is classier than my Canary yellow palace. ;) :D OK, you are correct in that department. :D

EDIT-- Oh yeah, if you are around Big Sandy, check out the IX Ranch. It is a huge area with lots of sharptails. There may be some opportunities for pheasants as well, but I usually only in the areas holding 'lope (ie., sharpies).

You're correct nemont, it's not real close to Havre (or Favre for that matter). As you can tell we are not sure exactly where we are going. It's our first trip. In the future I want to deer, elk or antelope hunt Wyoming, so I'll keep my eyes open for them too.

mtmiller, I'm sure your accomodations are better than marriott's. In fact I'd feel out of place in your upscale villa. But, be careful to offer. You never know when I might take you up on it.

Also, mtmiller, I requested the appropriate BM guides. They should get them to me by next week. I would like to stop in and see all your dead animals If I get close. I think I can find your phone, etc on the internet white pages.
Thanks again.
Matt

Need a dog?

Hemm,

It might be a long shot, but if you're close to Phoenix, you're more than welcome to take my GSP w/ you. Since moving from Idaho, there has'nt been time to much bird hunting. She'd love it and she's a perfect house dog. Thought I'd offer.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back