Montana Archery Units

ksbow

Okay guys this is my first post have been lurking for a while now and really enjoy the site. Looking at going on Montana Archery Elk Hunt in a year or so and was wondering where would be good units to start looking in Southwest Montana that me and partner could do truck/tent camp and hunt for a week. Just looking for general info where I can expect to get a tag, as well as see someElk. Having hunted Whitetails in Kansas and dreaming of Elk hunting my entire life and know that this will be a learning experiance.

Trophy quality is not really important at this point, just looking for somewhere with good access options, and resonable good opportunity to see and hear some elk. Either way a week in the Mountains will make the trip worth while on this end. Thanks in advance, anyone interested in info on good Kansas Whitetail public land options let me know!

Welcome to the site.

This is an easy question to answer generally, harder to answer specifically.

Montana currently has general tags you can buy right now, just by logging on to the FWP website. Those tags will let you hunt just about every unit in SW Montana.

You will see plenty of elk in the Beaverhead and Gallatin National Forests. Same with Helena NF. Lots of trailheads with public access.

If you found Ennis, Dillon, or Twin Bridges on your map, you could go in any direction and find elk on all the public lands in those areas. Lots of public land and lots of elk. And, on weekends, lots of local hunters.

All of those forests have places where you can truck camp and hunt from the trailhead every day. That is how most people do it. If you hunt in an area where grizzly bears are present, know and follow the food storage requirements.

I live in Bozeman and every evening I hike one of the trailheads near town. Monday night, I encountered two nice bulls that I would shoot every day with a general tag, archery or rifle. When I looked east, the bulls were across a small drainage from me. When I looked over my shoulder, city limits were in sight down below.

Point being, there are really no general areas that are head and shoulders above any other. In all areas, the trick will be to find the "spot on the spot" where elk tend to hang out that time of year. That is the fun part, frustrating at times, but fun.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info Randy, it is really refreashing to interact with other hunters who enjoy the sport and also take part in helping others. Really enjoy the site, your shows keep up the good work!

You shouldn't have trouble finding elk in archery season in SW MT, as Randy stated. I find I have much more trouble once rifle opens. Good luck on your hunt!

Should I expect much of the same a litter further east around Custer NF or do I want to focus further west then that?

I believe the Custer NF is a draw permit only. Randy is spot on....find Dillon, Ennis, and Twin Bridges and you should find some elk.

Should I expect much of the same a litter further east around Custer NF or do I want to focus further west then that?

Elk densities are much lower over there. For a first timer, go where the elk are. After you get the hang of it, you can branch out.

Not to high jack this thread, but I have the same questions. Would anyone recommend Fleecer Wildlife management area? Would you pick unit 319 or 331? Thanks,

Not to high jack this thread, but I have the same questions. Would anyone recommend Fleecer Wildlife management area? Would you pick unit 319 or 331? Thanks,

Either would be fine but I'd pick 331, since its either sex. 319 is a limited draw for the cow tag, which generally tells me the population is lower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back