Montana - Almost Time to Hit the Road

Eprevost_tec

Well, we have been planning and researching for over a year, and the road trip to Montana is about to. Me with a General Big Game Combo tag and my partner with a General Elk license are leaving Ontario Canada for Montana in a few weeks. Two solid days of driving will get us to Livingston, where we will be scouting the south central part of the state for about a week before the start of rifle season. We are already loosing sleep over the excitement of this big trip.

We have realistic expectation about the fact that we will be working our tails off, and likely will leave Montana with nothing more than great memories and allot of humbling experiences. Both of us have been hitting the gym and trails solid for over a year physically training for what is to come and getting the best gear we could afford. We both research elk ecology nightly and scour maps for trails, access roads and key habitat features. We have a great scouting and hunting plan on paper, realizing that it will all go the wayside when we hit the ground.

For all you veteran hunters out there, do you have any wise words of advise.....

See you on the trails.

I know, rifle season in the units we are targeting opens the 26th of October. A few weeks.....in our minds..Month in reality.

Reactions: LCH
I know, rifle season in the units we are targeting opens the 26th of October. A few weeks.....in our minds..Month in reality.
No matter what math you use , it’s 2 full months from today ! But it’s good your excited ! Good luck to you

Rifle season started 11 days ago for elk...backcountry units open September 15 for rifle elk.

Yeh well that’s a whole other discussion. I keep forgetting Montana let’s hunters shoot elk for 6 months

Rifle season started 11 days ago for elk...backcountry units open September 15 for rifle elk.
I didn't get the impression that they had private land lined up to hunt the shoulder season. Just a guess from the post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back