Montana 900-20 proposed removal question

TN VOL

Hey guys! I’ve been reviewing the major Montana regs 2022-23 proposals..does anyone know if they go to unlimited archery permits in the current 900 units if you can still hunt in a general unit and still have that unlimited archery permit for a specific unit.
Example: let’s say I draw the general combo elk then buy the proposed unlimited quota archery tag in unit 411, can I come in archery season and hunt?..then come back for rifle season in a completely different unit and hunt a unit that’s in region 3?? Those new proposed regs with the preference points expiration and everything is else makes my head hurt..I’ve been saving bonus points for 4 years to go on a 900-20 archery hunt but now I guess those points will be a waste of money..

Honestly I'm gonna say at this point nobody knows what is gonna happen there until the dust settles before the app season starts. Hell it may even change during or after app season at this rate like some things did last year. Plan for the worst hope for the best I say.

Hey guys! I’ve been reviewing the major Montana regs 2022-23 proposals..does anyone know if they go to unlimited archery permits in the current 900 units if you can still hunt in a general unit and still have that unlimited archery permit for a specific unit.
Example: let’s say I draw the general combo elk then buy the proposed unlimited quota archery tag in unit 411, can I come in archery season and hunt?..then come back for rifle season in a completely different unit and hunt a unit that’s in region 3?? Those new proposed regs with the preference points expiration and everything is else makes my head hurt..I’ve been saving bonus points for 4 years to go on a 900-20 archery hunt but now I guess those points will be a waste of money..
No way to know for sure at this point. However, changing 900 units to general would mean that yes, you could as you suggested. Even if they changed nothing, you could apply for the 900 tag and still hunt the general rifle in another unit. The only way that will change is if they make some sort of rule on Pick-a-unit, pick-a-weapon. If you have been saving bonus points for 900, I assume you have a specific place in mind to hunt, so you should be able hunt the unit now. It is a mess, for sure.

There is a proposal to make it where you can only hunt the unit on your permit for that specific season. So if you have an unlimited archery permit you can only hunt the unit listed on your permit during archery season, but then you can hunt general units during the rifle season. This seems to be the only proposal that's largely popular amongst hunters, so this one will likely pass.

Thanks guys! I was a bit confused, unfortunately I was wanting to hunt an area that happens to be 10 miles apart but in two different units that would have 2 different archery permits under the new proposal..oh well, I guess I’ll pick one and roll the dice

Will the archery permits be unlimited to where you can purchase them after the draw and even into the season??

Thanks guys! I was a bit confused, unfortunately I was wanting to hunt an area that happens to be 10 miles apart but in two different units that would have 2 different archery permits under the new proposal..oh well, I guess I’ll pick one and roll the dice
If you're referring to 411 and 535 I would encourage you to send in your comments on why this is stupid and makes zero sense.

Will the archery permits be unlimited to where you can purchase them after the draw and even into the season??
Depends, some 900 units are going to general some are unlimited permits. Regarding the unlimited permits you would have to apply for the permit in March. The question is if they make it first choice only.

Back