Montana 621

adulac

Hi all,
Long time reader first time poster. I'm looking for advice on unit 621. I was super lucky this year and drew the 621-20 tag for elk. I had to go check the regs to make sure I had put in for the right tag. I haven't spent anytime in the break before, having hunted big timber country here in nw montana for a decade now. I also will have no opportunities to do any summer scouting because I'm a wildland firefighter and as such am extremely busy around the country as well as here in montana. If anyone has any tips or general areas that they are willing to part with I would be extremely great full.

Congrats on your permit! I have hunted this district for a little over 40 years, send me a PM for some general advice!

I told you this in my PM but I can't stress it enough - enjoy the tag. I put so much pressure on myself that the last two weeks of the season were hell. I was hunting hard, hitting every spot I could find away from the roads, seeing bulls everyday except for a few, but not the 350 I was looking for. I was second guessing everything - what am I doing wrong? Am I hunting hard enough? Am I doing this tag justice? etc. I literally had dreams about the bull that kept giving me the slip early in the season before he disappeared for good. The first part of the season I had a blast because I still had time to find the "one". Looking back, it just wasn't in the cards for me. I literally lived out of a tent for almost the whole season. I passed on some nice bulls knowing full well that I might not do better. I shot a decent 6x6 much smaller than two bulls I passed up right at the end of the season but if I would have tagged out early I would have always wondered what if. Just enjoy the privilege of having that permit in your pocket when you're out there because the chances of drawing again are slim at best.

I had 622 some years ago. I set a goal of 370 or better. Like PJ0311, I tuned down some bulls bigger than most hunters will ever kill. If you set a goal like that, be prepared to eat the tag. If I ever draw again, I'll probably be more realistic. I wouldn't trade that hunt for anything, but there are things I'd have done differently. Good luck, mtmuley

Great draw! I have harvested cows in that area in the past. Have seen some big bulls. Its worth going up early and looking at all the bulls on Slippery Ann to give ya an idea of quality this year. I moved east, hunting in 622 and actually drew the 620 rifle tag this year. I know the quality of animals... but will not be eating tag soup...

Congrats on your permit! I have hunted this district for a little over 40 years, send me a PM for some general advice!
First time poster..my first year and drew 620-21..just wondering if you could give me a little advice on the area?

First time poster..my first year and drew 620-21..just wondering if you could give me a little advice on the area?
I started a thread as well as worked hard to scour all these old ass posts too.. you notice the dates? Lol

I am new to this. I just realized I have drawn a 621-20 area elk tag. Is there any wisdom & advice I can acquire. I am not intending to hold out for a mega trophy. I will be satisfied with a good mature bull hoping for a hunt to never forget, this will then be my dream hunt for my life. I however realize I may be in the last years of being able to enjoy a hunt such as this. I am starting to dig and search. Any help, I don’t know how to private mesa etc., I will learn. Where to get advice will be greatly appreciated. Adulation, wishing you nothing but the best.
respectfully,
Myron m

Oh boy. I didn’t even see a brow tine in 621 last year. A couple of spikes at a 100 that disappeared as fast as I seen them. Game warden was cool as hell. Bring a bunch of fuel! The breaks is rough, I was on my own in big country and it made it harder psychologically. 2:2 it ate my truck. Use caution.

Hi all,
Long time reader first time poster. I'm looking for advice on unit 621. I was super lucky this year and drew the 621-20 tag for elk. I had to go check the regs to make sure I had put in for the right tag. I haven't spent anytime in the break before, having hunted big timber country here in nw montana for a decade now. I also will have no opportunities to do any summer scouting because I'm a wildland firefighter and as such am extremely busy around the country as well as here in montana. If anyone has any tips or general areas that they are willing to part with I would be extremely great full.
I am just like you, just drew a 621-20 tag. Wishing you nothing but the best. Good luck and blessings. Looking forward to your posts etc.

Good luck. This is not a trophy unit by any stretch, but it can be a fun hunt if you go in with the right mindset. The breaks is some fun unique country. Hike and glass a lot of country and you will find elk. Don’t expect to see big numbers of them though.

Oh boy. I didn’t even see a brow tine in 621 last year. A couple of spikes at a 100 that disappeared as fast as I seen them. Game warden was cool as hell. Bring a bunch of fuel! The breaks is rough, I was on my own in big country and it made it harder psychologically. 2:2 it ate my truck. Use caution.
I had the tag in 22 and I shot the first one I seen and it wasn’t a bad 6x5, but what a horrible year. Between everyone saying they couldn’t find much and just the bad weather. I’m glad I wasn’t planning on holding out.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back