Montana 580 access

Badger_55

Im am trying hard to decide where to place my first choice application for this year. I am not really expecting to draw for awhile but there is always that chance that is dancing around in my head. I really enjoy the general zone that I go to each year but I put in for that lotto pick to try and get that once in a lifetime experience. Hoping I can get some help here for Rifle. I've read all about The Breaks and southeastern montana. I've really looked over the numbers to all the LE districts.. I am wondering if you guys could give some recommendations? I've started wondering about the Crazies a little, 580 hd. Is it impossible to get into national forest ground to hunt with horses if I were to draw that tag? Or would it be a true waste of points and luck if I drew it without land access connections? Other districts I am thinking hard about is 417, 447, 622, 680, 704(I may have a private land connection here). I understand no one wants more hands in the jar... so if ya are feeling generous I'd love to here opinions whether it's on this thread or through my PM. Thank you!!

With only two points I'd shoot for the moon until I had more points in the game. Any of those units will be tough draws with only two points. Having said that it happens every year. Now if you apply for archery hunts you may pull a breaks area tag with two.

With only two points I'd shoot for the moon until I had more points in the game. Any of those units will be tough draws with only two points. Having said that it happens every year. Now if you apply for archery hunts you may pull a breaks area tag with two.

I agree . Go for a dream unit until u build more points (7-8)

Yeah thats what I am kinda doing.. definitely just dreaming of that small chance we all see happen. Just wondering what some of those dream hunts are?
Archery is definitely in my future out there but until my father is done hunting out west which is hopefully not for awhile it will be rifle for me.
Just curious what you guys thought about the crazies... i would like to think we would get lucky and my dad would have his dream hunt.
Thanks to this site and go hunt i was able to find a district that we really enjoy and gave my dad his first bull in his lifetime. He had his horse and his boys and then we topped it off with a bull for him. I just dream of taking him to a bluechip zone someday.

580 is very checkerboard in that permit area. I have hunted the area for deer and cows on private. Saw pleanty of elk there but I personally wouldn't apply for the permit without private access. I'm not sure how much the elk use the country up higher in NF.

The Crazies are considered one of the harder areas in Montana for decent access at all. Lots of private and not a lot of people willing to let you access through their place. I have been in there a few times and while a guy can get into some elk and deer it takes a lot to get to them. There are a lot better places to go hunt for elk in the other districts you listed. You cant beat the access in the breaks for elk hunting.

I would agree with those who have suggested to pass on 580.

Your cause is a noble one to find the "Special" spot for your Dad to have a great experience. And to share it with you. As you might have already read on the Forum. The Access issues onto National Forest lands within HD 580 have brought about a lot of conflicts. The only current uncontested public access is the trailhead at the end of the road in Big Timber Canyon. That part of the Crazies usually holds no elk during the fall rifle season. In another life, time, and world I had access into the 580 unit. That is all gone and another story. But knowing the country I can tell you that getting into adjacent National Forest sections of land is almost humanly impossible from the current public access point. Hunting District 580 has evolved into a situation and world onto itself it seems. That is enjoyed and ruled by a small group of people. In my opinion. Sorry to move off your subject.

The Breaks still hold great Bulls and Once in A Lifetime experiences. But from your pictures it looks like you have an area where you have been successful in the past. You could keep going there? Your time with Dad is already under the category of Great Lifetime Experiences. Savor them.

HD 580 was the district where I got tangled up with a landowner who had blocked a forest service trail. We hope to get that straightened out in the next year or two, but even when that happens it will only open up a couple sub-prime sections.

So back 580, there's absolutely no access a guy could get in by horse or foot? Anyone know what kind of trespass fees I would be looking at to get through private? I've been reading alot about the ongoing struggle here. I'd really like to try and get in there... maybe operation horse drop is in the making!

I would agree with those who have suggested to pass on 580.

Your cause is a noble one to find the "Special" spot for your Dad to have a great experience. And to share it with you. As you might have already read on the Forum. The Access issues onto National Forest lands within HD 580 have brought about a lot of conflicts. The only current uncontested public access is the trailhead at the end of the road in Big Timber Canyon. That part of the Crazies usually holds no elk during the fall rifle season. In another life, time, and world I had access into the 580 unit. That is all gone and another story. But knowing the country I can tell you that getting into adjacent National Forest sections of land is almost humanly impossible from the current public access point. Hunting District 580 has evolved into a situation and world onto itself it seems. That is enjoyed and ruled by a small group of people. In my opinion. Sorry to move off your subject.

The Breaks still hold great Bulls and Once in A Lifetime experiences. But from your pictures it looks like you have an area where you have been successful in the past. You could keep going there? Your time with Dad is already under the category of Great Lifetime Experiences. Savor them.

Noted sir... I plan on keep going to the same spot while building my points up but would be more than happy to draw and LE spot. Where we go we work really hard for our encounters and that's all part of the adventure. Our group has showed the will to do whatever it takes just for an opportunity.
As for the Breaks I can tell my dad isn't a big fan of that style of huntimg. I know we could make it however wes want it to be though.

Anyway a person can come over from 315? Or I'm guessing highly unlikely due to the weather that time of year.

Same thing I was wondering. It looks like access is there to 580 thru 315.
If that is where you want to go it's probably easier to go up Big Timber Creek (trail 119 and 122). You can walk through (but not hunt) the private land on all but the last few sections of 122 before the Sweet Grass trailhead (which you have to pay to use during the hunting season).

Back