Montana 560 - What are the chances

Eprevost_tec

Hello all,

I am looking to head back to Montana again this coming season, barring being successful in the 2020 draw.

Last year was my first trip west, and my first time hunting elk. I have been hunting hard for about 20 years now, and have good success here in Ontario Canada, but the dream and addiction of elk hunting has bit me hard.

Last year I focused hard on e-scouting and finally hunting the north part of unit 560. I have multiple reasons for selecting unit 560 and dont need to get into them here. Its a long two full day drive from home to 560, and going any further west make the drive more than two days, limiting time on the ground.

The plan is to head back to 560 this year. The principle is that I will have climbed up the learning curve a bit and will know what to expect, and have a good idea of terrain, access, logistics etc. My bit problem is that last year we did not see any elk. We cut one set of track, and saw some amazing mule deer but no elk.

The big question I have is, does it make sense to go back to 560, or pull the pin and find another area and start over? We hunting a number of areas around the main and west boulder roads. Is there really a chance on finding elk there, or am I wasting my time.

Alternatively we did spend one day around 540 and saw a good herd on private land. I was thinking that if I did have to pull stakes, I would focus on the little belt mountains and areas around unit 448.

My biggest hurdle to date is finding the general area where elk are. The spot on the spot, or e-scouting makes allot of sense to me, and we have found wildlife where we e-scouted there should be, but we cant seem to get on paper in terms of where the elk generally are.

Thanks all, this is one of the best hunting forums on the internet.

Everyone talks about what gear this or what gear that, how much I should lift/run/shoot, if I should wear my cap flat billed, how many stickers do I need to show everyone I'm an elk hunter, etc. Nothing matters if you can't find the elk. Even locals have these same problems you outlined.

I think @Big Fin says something along the lines "You find the elk where they are" while Marcus likes to say "The elk are you where you find them". Hopefully I didn't get those backwards lol. I think the reality is that finding elk can be, and often is, the hardest part. We had the same problem in ID last year and moved camps four times because of it. But once we found one elk we found another nearby the same day. This year in MT we're planning to stay equally mobile until we locate some elk. Without spending a significant amount of time in an area either by living nearby or scouting I think the only answer is to search for them until you find them. And use Randy's 5 seasons approach to narrow down where they might be.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree.

The other problem is that the videos and books talk about elk habitat, seasons of elk behaviour etc. But as a new hunter looking as the vastness of the lanscape, all of it looks like good habitat.

The key element that is missing in all this info is where to start.

The analogy I like to use is a dart boat on a wall. If the elk is the bulls eye, then the general location is the dart board, but the unit is the whole wall. There is a ton of wall to hit before you ever get close to the dart board, never mind the bulls eye. Everyone is good about telling you what the dart board and bulls eye looks like, they just never give you an idea where it is on the wall, or how to find it.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree.

The other problem is that the videos and books talk about elk habitat, seasons of elk behaviour etc. But as a new hunter looking as the vastness of the lanscape, all of it looks like good habitat.

The key element that is missing in all this info is where to start.

The analogy I like to use is a dart boat on a wall. If the elk is the bulls eye, then the general location is the dart board, but the unit is the whole wall. There is a ton of wall to hit before you ever get close to the dart board, never mind the bulls eye. Everyone is good about telling you what the dart board and bulls eye looks like, they just never give you an idea where it is on the wall, or how to find it.

That's partially because the dart board moves around the wall. And there are actually several dart boards. And there is a lot of information on state websites about elk habitat, browse, migration areas, etc. As a NR myself it sucks to say, but eventually you get into a "teach a man to fish . . . ." scenario. We went into an area totally blind last year and ultimately found elk via our personal research and information that others were willing to offer. The most specific information we received was probably the elevation range in which others were seeing elk.

It's also why some people recommend that one pays a guide to take them on their first elk hunt. They give a lot of hand holding and, if you pay attention, there is a lot to learn in a single trip. But most people on the internet don't have the incentive of being paid to teach the art of elk hunting so specifically.

I have to admit, seeing great mule deer, a bull and cow moose, mountain lion tracks and just being in the mountains made the trip for me.

The elk is the bonus and icing on the cake.

I am committed to just putting in the time, soaking up information like a sponge and doing as much of my own research as possible.

Anyone have some recommended studies or books that I can add to the library on the subject of Elk in Montana??

Thanks

I live a lot closer to 560 than you do, and I've never considered hunting 560 for elk.

It seems to me that sacrificing a little hunting time to get into areas that have bigger elk populations is better than another day or two of hunting where you aren't seeing elk.

Rifle for now. Havent had the time in life to take up archery yet. I participate heavily in a number of shooting sports, so I am a firearms guy through and through.
Try something farther north in the little belts or big belts like 448/416/446/391 all good elk hds

I would avoid 560 for sure. It's hard cou try to hunt and is kind of a preditor pit. By the time rifle rolls around elk would be back in a long ways or on private. If you had horses you could consider it. Also not sure but that might be one of the areas that had the wilderness hunts. Those allow you to hunt with a rifle early. Again, probably not worth your time. 540 would be better, but if you want to hunt that area go further west to like 446.

You will have a hard time getting the kind of specific info, on a public forum like this, from anyone who is consistently successful in that area.
Once posted, it’s there for the world to see... Suggest you reach out to the local biologist for some insight. You may not get much there either, but more than you would on a public forum imo.

I would avoid 560 for sure. It's hard cou try to hunt and is kind of a preditor pit. By the time rifle rolls around elk would be back in a long ways or on private. If you had horses you could consider it. Also not sure but that might be one of the areas that had the wilderness hunts. Those allow you to hunt with a rifle early. Again, probably not worth your time. 540 would be better, but if you want to hunt that area go further west to like 446.
Wilderness (backcountry) hds in MT are 316 (cooke city area), 150 and 151 (Bob Marshals), and 280 (scapegoats). They open early but the pack trains and outfitter camps make sure the Elk are always moving, usually further and further into the wilderness area.

Wilderness (backcountry) hds in MT are 316 (cooke city area), 150 and 151 (Bob Marshals), and 280 (scapegoats). They open early but the pack trains and outfitter camps make sure the Elk are always moving, usually further and further into the wilderness area.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasnt sure what units were involved

I pretty much second what others have said. 560 is a tough zone. It has a lot of great elk looking area but not a lot of elk. By rifle season they are more than likely on private. There are probably better choices.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back