Montana 411 Rifle elk

Shotgun1

Just curious if anyone has hunted this area and how they did.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to agree with mtlion on this one...prepare for a major expenditure of time, energy, and your wallet. Not to mention catching some major grief online.

I avoid that unit like the plague during rifle season.

Wow!!! Congrats on a PRIMO Montana tag!

Of course no money in the world is going to buy you access to the Wilks Bros properties where the majority of elk will reside by rifle season. In addition, the glorified Durfees could very possibly be exchanged by then.

You could always come over and knock on doors. There are landowners who still allow hunting, but as the Wilks empire grows, outfitters have been kicked off old leases and forced to acquire new properties in the area.

As mentioned...I wouldn't of wasted points. Unless you are a local that can commit the entire season to pounding the public and block management...

For some reason I can not see MTLION's reply. I never said or even thought it was a primo tag, I realized it is one of the less desired units and I did not burn a bunch of points for it. I mostly just wondered how people in the past have done on this unit. Not looking for a bunch of secrets or anything.

For some reason I can not see MTLION's reply. I never said or even thought it was a primo tag, I realized it is one of the less desired units and I did not burn a bunch of points for it. I mostly just wondered how people in the past have done on this unit. Not looking for a bunch of secrets or anything.

His reply consisted of quoting you, (now edited by you, it seems) and the "wink" smilie. Trying to be ambiguous it seems....

I apologize for the brashness...I just see too many people Internet and Television scouting. They see people have success harvesting trophy animals and apply for those specific units. If you want first hand knowledge PM BigFin and watch OYOA.

However, it does disappoint me, on this forum in particular, when people throw out the word money. Many of us hunt both private and public lands here for 'free'. We 'pay' with a simple 'Thank You', a couple rolls of summer sausage, a gift certificate for dinner in town, or a day spent branding or fixing fence. And most of us have or will be burned when somebody shows up with a pocket of cash.

I see access fees as a problem and your original offer of paying one further erodes landowner/sportsmen relations in unit 411 and many others.

I can see a simple "thank you", but considering time is money. I fail to see how the summer sausage, gift certifcate, branding or fence help are really any different.

Okay, I understand the money thing. I am certainly not rich and was only offering to pay more of a "trespassing" type fee since there is the occasional place here and there a person can do that. I don't have the money for outfitters and its not really my thing anyway. I mostly was just wondering how other people have done in the unit more than internet scouting a place out.

I don't know where you come from, but our access fees run a little steeper than a $50 gift certificate to your (insert Montana small town) Mint.

I've hunted the area and have since quit hunting that area...access is tough unless you are willing to put forth the extra effort either knocking on doors, searching for pieces of public, or hunting block management. Accessible public and block management will most certainly have several other hunters. As said earlier most is outfitted or locked up. By rifle season many of the elk will reside in areas not accessible by foot. A lot of people get tags and I'm willing to bet a substantial portion of them go unfilled due to the elk being pressured onto the big ranches.

It's the principle of the matter. Being neighborly and having a genuine interest in a friendship with the landowners. Waving money in their face turns them into prostitutes. For as many bad hunters out there that have trashed our image there's just as many landowners who have lost their way for the almighty dollar.

Alright Shotgun...pm me and I will see if I can get you hooked up. Where are you from and how long are you planning on committing? I might be able to point you in a free public land direction.

Best unit in the state as far as I'm concerned. It would make you sick if you new all the elk I have been fortunate enough to take in this unit. The sad part is the best public land is going to be traded to the Wilks someday if not sooner. Luckily I am married into a big ranch on this unit and I own a supercub as a backup plan. The best thing you can do is call Lewistown BLM and express the fact that you drew this tag and plan on hunting the land locked section they own inside the Wilks ranch. Tell them this place has gained national attention and is going viral.

Best of luck to you.

Mark

411 is over rated :D

Shotgun there is still some good hunting to be had on some of the Block Management lands. The thing about the elk in this unit whether on private or public is they run in cycles. It's really a matter of having the time to wait them out. They may not be on public for 5 days then on day 6 they come moving through.

There are more elk per square mile than probably any unit in the state. The problem like was mentioned is having access to that square mile.

See if Wingman will let you hang onto one of his wheels. He's got every tree and shrub named by now I'm sure.

I ate my rifle tag in that area. That said, you should be able to get one. The amount of public land to private land ratio is a lot different then most of montana making it more difficult for the (I only hunt public land) guy in that there is less public land in the area. That said I believe the 411 tag is good for several other districs that will have more available public land. Just hope that the elk numbers are high enough to offset the smaller amount of accessable land in the area.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back