PEAX Equipment

Montana 391 or 392

Both are good elk units, I try to hunt over East and North of York/Nelson every fall and we usually get into elk. I only hunt rifle currently, but plan to archery hunt in a section I found a ton of rubs.

Those who have spoke positively about the elk herd in 391 & 392 are absolutely correct. The elk numbers are so positive that they dropped the B tags in 392 to 25, and did away with the either sex opportunity in 391. Does anyone know what the B tag allocation was, say 10 years ago? They also do not give out any B tags that would be valid on public lands north of Duck Cr in 391(although one may harvest with an A tag during archery). So the herd is so promising that no cows may be harvested between Duck and Avalanche throughout rifle season. Between getting absolutely hammered during rifle season and the shoulder seasons in what is now 391 and 446, the elk herd in the Big Belts is pretty sad compared to what it was in the 2000s. Yes, harvest reports state they pull a hundred raghorns out of there every year, and yes, a small handful +300” bull are taken. Your best bet in either district is to know where they are on opening day get in a foot race with the rest of the orange militia and hope that you are the first to shoot at the 2 ½ or 3 ½ year “herd bull”.

My plan for now is to come hunt during archery season. I will be there the last two weeks of September. I am planning a return trip the last 10 days of the rifle season.
Is there any good meat processing east side of the mountain? The one in White Sulphur could only de bone and quick freeze last time I was there. I can do that myself. More worried about cold storage during the September hunt if we are successful.

wapiti406 is dead-on, the elk do not come easy and there is alot of competition. If I was coming from out of state for limited time I'd have a backup plan B and backup plan C in different mountain ranges, there are better districts nearby.

Yes the 392 mule deer buck tag is unlimited, but you have to put in for it by the April 1 deadline, and you cannot hunt mule deer buck in any other district. So no it's not "available to anyone who wants it", you have to specifically apply for the unlimited district.

Regarding Grizz, it doesn't matter where you are in western MT you need to be prepared at all times, they are passing through this area as of right now and it's only a matter of time before a few start setting up their core area here. If you don't want Grizz then hunt eastern MT, plain and simple.

wapiti406 is dead-on, the elk do not come easy and there is alot of competition. If I was coming from out of state for limited time I'd have a backup plan B and backup plan C in different mountain ranges, there are better districts nearby.

Yes the 392 mule deer buck tag is unlimited, but you have to put in for it by the April 1 deadline, and you cannot hunt mule deer buck in any other district. So no it's not "available to anyone who wants it", you have to specifically apply for the unlimited district.

Regarding Grizz, it doesn't matter where you are in western MT you need to be prepared at all times, they are passing through this area as of right now and it's only a matter of time before a few start setting up their core area here. If you don't want Grizz then hunt eastern MT, plain and simple.
Unfortunately your right there are grizzly bears all over

Ive hunted 391 and 446.
Would recommend getting over your fear of bears and focusing south. I won't be wasting any more time in these regions.

here is my honest take on 392. And this probably the only time I’ll post something for the world to see about a unit I hunt in.

Have I shot elk here: Yes
Is it easy: No
Would I consider there to be a lot of
Elk on public: No
Would I come to only hunt elk here as a NR: Probably wouldn’t be my first choice
Will I continue to hunt it as resident: yes

From my limited experience, I’d say the varied comments pretty much sum up any general tag region 3 elk unit. All have elk, all have tons and tons of hunters, all have elk that like to sit on private and all give you a chance to get lucky if you put in the time, maybe...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back