Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana 391 or 392

Michigangunner

Drew some general big game combo tags this year. Taking my father out and possibly my son this fall. Anyone have any advise on 391 0r 392?
Also looking for road conditions for a stock truck (I have chains).
Will be doing dispersed camping.
Where is the nearest processor that you would recommend? During the archery season I will need someone to process for us.
Is an ATV worth the hassle in these units?

Both districts are close to Helena and therefore get a lot of pressure - more so during rifle season and less so during archery. For the most part, the main roads in each district are decent and can support stock trucks. Four wheelers are used by some, but they don't really get you to many spots a truck can't go as travel is restricted to designated roads. Plenty of elk in these districts but not an over abundance of mature bulls although they can be found. Deer populations are not great and mature bucks are hard to find. Both units are on the dry side so water features are often key to finding elk. Some good horse trails in both districts. I hunt both districts on and off and don't have a preference of one over the other. I would recommend a scouting trip this summer if you have the time and means to get out here. Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific questions about various spots within these districts - I will try to help. Good Luck this fall!

It's big country. The elk are constantly moving in my limited experience, so being able to HIKE to high points and glass is key. I'll be hunting those units this rifle season and plan to hunt birds out there before then. PM me and I'll try to share what I find. Beautiful place though!0517201100.jpg0419201542.jpg

It's big country. The elk are constantly moving in my limited experience, so being able to HIKE to high points and glass is key. I'll be hunting those units this rifle season and plan to hunt birds out there before then. PM me and I'll try to share what I find. Beautiful place though!View attachment 142370View attachment 142372
+1
e.png

I’m thinking of hitting these 2 areas myself . Problem is I look at onX maps everyday trying to decide where my dad and I are gonna spend opening weekend and I currently have hotels reserved in 3 different locations . Gonna have to make a decision later this summer and take a chance . All locations , like these 2 units , have elk and will have tons of hunters . I’m just leaning towards somewhere north of interstate 90 cuz of bears in southwest in Montana , I don’t like bears

I’m thinking of hitting these 2 areas myself . Problem is I look at onX maps everyday trying to decide where my dad and I are gonna spend opening weekend and I currently have hotels reserved in 3 different locations . Gonna have to make a decision later this summer and take a chance . All locations , like these 2 units , have elk and will have tons of hunters . I’m just leaning towards somewhere north of interstate 90 cuz of bears in southwest in Montana , I don’t like bears
Fair enough on the bears...although you always need to be prepared anywhere in western Montana these days. Last spring I video'd 2 grizzlies just 20 miles as the crow flies from downtown Helena and they have been documented in the Big Belts a couple times in recent years. Don't fret over it, just be aware that they are out there. One of my favorite strategies for opening day of rifle season in 391 is to climb into some deep dark timber that borders open feeding areas. When the shooting starts those elk head straight for the timber - if you are lucky and well positioned they will wander right past you :) .

We found some suspiciously large bear poop in 392 on our hunt this May. Not a high density area by any means, but something to be aware of.

There are plenty of bears in these two areas. Almost all Black bears, and some big ones too, but very few grizzlies. FWP did get trail cam pictures of a grizzly a couple years ago here and I have seen one briefly that might have been.

There's plenty of deer and elk here. The standard advice applies here also. Get away from the roads, think a mile or more, for your best chances. Some elk herds are huge here so its possible to see no sign at all and then walk over a ridge and stumble across a herd of 100 or more. Not real familiar with the non-resident rules and regulations and the accompanying tags but these areas require a permit for mule deer, which is what is in most of these districts.

We found some suspiciously large bear poop in 392 on our hunt this May. Not a high density area by any means, but something to be aware of.

There are plenty of bears in these two areas. Almost all Black bears, and some big ones too, but very few grizzlies. FWP did get trail cam pictures of a grizzly a couple years ago here and I have seen one briefly that might have been.

There's plenty of deer and elk here. The standard advice applies here also. Get away from the roads, think a mile or more, for your best chances. Some elk herds are huge here so its possible to see no sign at all and then walk over a ridge and stumble across a herd of 100 or more. Not real familiar with the non-resident rules and regulations and the accompanying tags but these areas require a permit for mule deer, which is what is in most of these districts.
I talked to the ranger and she told me about a positive hair sample they got near vigilante campground. Pretty cool to know they're in there. I wish I could attest to the black bear population, but I struck out there. Considering this a learning year and plan to be back in the Belts next spring.

Not real familiar with the non-resident rules and regulations and the accompanying tags but these areas require a permit for mule deer, which is what is in most of these districts.
[/QUOTE]

FWP did away with the mule deer permit in these two districts in 2019. It is fair game for mule deer bucks now to all who wish to hunt there.

Not real familiar with the non-resident rules and regulations and the accompanying tags but these areas require a permit for mule deer, which is what is in most of these districts.

FWP did away with the mule deer permit in these two districts in 2019. It is fair game for mule deer bucks now to all who wish to hunt there.
[/QUOTE]
During archery season. 392 is still special permit for mules during rifle.

There are grizz all over in western Montana, just carry spray and move on with your hunting trip. You are more then likely to be fine. Unless your a mountain biker in big sky.

During archery season. 392 is still special permit for mules during rifle.
[/QUOTE]

I’ve had a hunch that most of the hunters I see in 392 aren’t carrying the proper tag...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back