Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Monolithic bullets

Hunter&Huntress

Hey guys,

After reading a couple threads on this site I have decided I would like to try a monolithic bullet this year. I would like to get your guys opinion who makes the best bullet. I will be shooting a .270 and will not be shooting more the 500 yards. The game I will be hunting is Elk, Deer and antelope. I would like to shoot 130-140 gr bullet.

One other consideration with monolithic bullets, load "light for caliber" with respect to bullet weight. They all rely on velocity for expansion, so lighter weights/higher mv's are your friend.

I'm running a 145 Barnes LRX out of a .280AI with great results.

I'd load the 129 LRX from Barnes. Gives you a bit better BC and slightly lower expansion threshold than a TTSX.

I've been very happy with the Barnes 130 TTSX in my 270 WSM. I've also killed a few animals with the 140 grain TSX with very good results, but the 130s shoot a bit better out of my gun.

Do you all think that 130 grain would be the best route even with elk?

When you take into consideration the fact that your bullet will likely retain 95-100% of its initial weight, I sure wouldn't worry much about a 130 grain bullet. Put it in the boiler room and all other factors become a moot point.

The thing to remember with copper is that its density is 78% of lead so the same size bullets end up lighter. Since most traditional bullets are about 25% copper and 75% lead it comes down to where a copper solid weighs about 85% of a bimetal bullet of the same shape and length. For a copper solid to weigh the same as a bimetal bullet its generally going to end up a lot longer which translates into a round that needs a faster twist rate and is generally going to be harder to load. Copper really gains a lot back since weight retention as mentioned is nearly 100% whereas a good bimetal bullet is going to be more in the range of 75%.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back