Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mobile decoys

Alex76

Hello, i wanted to ask your opinion about mobile decoys
My friend wanted to sell me his decoyed duck collection. He said that this is the best decoys, that I've ever seen. I didn't hear about minuses from him. And I've decided to ask you about them.I don't remember the name, but I think that it is "madhunt"

Attachments

• photo_2020-03-20_01-32-58 (2).jpg
    photo_2020-03-20_01-32-58 (2).jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 8
I am in Oregon where battery powered motion decoys are illegal, which is what your photo looks like, so I have no personal experience with them. That being said, the only negative thing I have really heard about these types of decoys is that they are heavier than most others. If you have a decent hike to your hunting spot, and have to carry everything on your back, then they could be a bit of a hindrance.

I have a similar "robo" decoy. Seems to draw in more looks and adds a bit of motion to my setup. These can be had relatively inexpensively in the off season so make sure you don't overpay. If it has a timer system that does motion in intervals that seems to be better than ones that are always on though I have very limited experience with those.

I remember when "flappers", probably the most common motion decoy's, came out. First time I saw one in a magazine I thought they were a joke and there was no way I was paying that much for one decoy. Then one day out hunting in between opening day and the time "new" ducks show up I watched a couple guys in a little pot hole in the middle of a large public marsh just slaying them. Refuge ducks cruising along would see there spread and just dump right in. No action for anyone else at all. Kept trying to figure out why. Fortunately for me they winged one that sailed near me. When the guy couldn't find it I sent my dog out to get it. He thanked me and then invited us over to set up with them. When we pulled in to there little hole there was the magic flapper. We shot almost to our limit before they had to pull out. Once the flapper was gone not single duck would drop in. I went home and ordered one.

Been probably 8 years since I duck hunted hard so I can't say how they work now. I'd hope they are better build and run longer than they used to. Also seemed ducks caught on to them after everyone had one. Some days it seemed better not to have it out. They still did seem to help if you were in an area that wasn't crowded.

They work very well for ducks. Geese seem to be more unsure of them. A lot of them now come with a remote, so you can shut off when geese are working or if ducks on that day aren't liking it. Generally though, those motorized spinning wing decoys are very productive.

minuses- need to have battery/ charging batteries. The stake that come with is only good for a couple feet of water max. Will likely need to get over-priced extension poles or get longer metal conduit to use as pole. They are fairly heavy. Detachable wings to lose. BUT, I believe it's absolutely worth the extra hassle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back