Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MOA vs. MIL

Jamen

Looking at building a new rifle and looking at optics. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about each reticle. I know it boils down to personal preference but just wanted to see what everybody thought about them.

Thanks Jamen

Either or IMO. They are both angular measurements, so the actual values don't really matter. I just like the reticle and turrets to be in the same units.

They are both Angular measurements that can do the same things. Just make sure. If you get a Mil Reticule, GET .1MIL TURRETS!! Don't Mix MOA's and MIL's Do one or the other.

I shoot MOA reticules, that being said... There are probably double the options available in Mil vs MOA. Especially if you consider an FFP reticule, which IMHO is nearly a must and all my future MOA or Mil scale reticules will be FFPs.

Thanks for the input, I understand they are both measurements I know from what I was reading on MIL you can determine the distance to the object if you know its height and how many MIL's it is in the scope. Has anyone used this method to determine distance and if so did you have good results. It is a little confusing at first but after watching a few videos and just doing it on paper makes more sense on how they work.

Thanks again Jamen

I've always used MOA. Might be wise to use the system you currently have on your other rifles. mtmuley

If you have other scopes and all are MOA then go with MOA. If you have 1000 hours to learn a new system so will be just as instinctive as MOA's "4 clicks is an inch" then go for it. MOAs can help you judge distance as well as MILs. You just need to know what the spaces between the hashes on the crosshair represent at various yards and then how tall/long your intended target is. Hmm, my target is 72" tall and is one hash mark tall in my scope so that means is around Z yards. Or use a rangefinder. Boom! Drop. Flop.

Thanks for the input, I understand they are both measurements I know from what I was reading on MIL you can determine the distance to the object if you know its height and how many MIL's it is in the scope. Has anyone used this method to determine distance and if so did you have good results. It is a little confusing at first but after watching a few videos and just doing it on paper makes more sense on how they work.

Thanks again Jamen

Both MOA and MIL can be used to calculate distance to target based on height and space on reticule. 1 MIL is an angular equilivent of 1/1000 the distance to target. I.E. 1 yard @ 1000 yds. .5yds @ 500 yds. 1/10yd (3.6") at 100yds.

MOA= Minute of Angle. It represents 1/60 of one degree. It roughly equates to 1.047" @ 100yds, or 10.47" @1000 yds

Both can be used to calculate range to tgt, it;s just different formulas.

It takes serious practice to be able to use a reticule to determine range accurately. With practice and math, some people can accurately determine range to within about 5%. I'd rather use a rangefinder... Using MOA reticules, I've tried it and can usually get within about 10-12% of measured range. This may or may not be acceptable depending on range... I might guess 1000yds with a target that is at 1100 or 900 yds. WIth my .308 there's 13.4MOA difference in drop between the two ranges...

Last edited:
My preference is MOA, just what i'm used to. Its simple to use. I also agree with others to keep turret and reticles the same. if your method of compensating computes in MOA there is no reason to have a specific turret for given alt, temp ect. one thing that I like to ise the MOA reticle for is judging animals antler size, say width of rack or length of main beam on an elk.

If you have other scopes and all are MOA then go with MOA. If you have 1000 hours to learn a new system so will be just as instinctive as MOA's "4 clicks is an inch" then go for it. MOAs can help you judge distance as well as MILs. You just need to know what the spaces between the hashes on the crosshair represent at various yards and then how tall/long your intended target is. Hmm, my target is 72" tall and is one hash mark tall in my scope so that means is around Z yards. Or use a rangefinder. Boom! Drop. Flop.
That's the beauty of matching reticle and turrets. You don't have to think, nor should one, think in number of clicks per inch. When sighting in my long range scope, I shot the target and calculated how far off the windage and elevation was with my reticle in mils and made the adjustments. Literally two shots and I was sighted in.

I do agree with you though on the rangefinder use. I do not plan on using my reticle to judge critters or to calculate distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back