Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Missed Chances in a Long Hunt for bin Laden

Ithaca 37

This is really worth reading, but I'm not going to post the whole thing. If you wanna keep informed just register with the Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/25/politics/25HUNT.html

"Missed Chances in a Long Hunt for bin Laden
By DAVID JOHNSTON and TODD S. PURDUM

Published: March 25, 2004

ASHINGTON, March 24 — In 1996, the C.I.A. secretly created a special operational unit devoted to tracking a single man, a Saudi-born exile named Osama bin Laden, then living in Sudan and considered a major terrorist financier. By early 1997, the office, known as the bin Laden station, had concluded that he was also a terrorist organizer, based in Afghanistan, with a military committee planning operations against American interests worldwide.

"Although this information was disseminated in many reports, the unit's sense of alarm about bin Laden was not widely shared or understood within the intelligence and policy communities," the commission investigating the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, reported on Wednesday. "Employees in the unit told us they felt their zeal attracted ridicule from their peers."

What happened over the nearly five years from that moment until the devastating attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon is the story of bureaucratic miscommunication, diplomatic dead ends, military hesitation, intelligence failures, political rivalries and policy miscalculations at the highest levels of two presidential administrations — a trail of fumbles presented in sweeping new detail in two days of commission hearings and four staff reports made public this week.........."

IT,
I have read and reread this article and it leaves me with some questions I cannot answer:

1. If Mr. Clarke was in a position to influence the Clinton administration regarding it's Bin Laden strategy why did his, Bin Laden's, movement flourish during that time?

2. Relates to the first question if getting Bin Laden was bungled so badly by the previous administration why is Mr. Clarke placing nearly all blame on Bush's administration.

3. Why were none of his objections or concerns outlined in his resignation letter? I have resigned from jobs which I felt compelled to lay out my reasons for departing in my resignation letter. I will give him a pass on the background piece as I understand it was made a the behest of the President.

I still continue to be confused by these issues and I have not heard an explanation that makes sense.

Nemont

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back