Minnesota New Guy

North Country

Hello everybody,

New guy from Minnesota here. I found out about Randy from his interview on the meateater podcast. I've been looking to join a hunting forum for a while now but never found any great ones, so I was happy to see that this forum was here.

Unfortunately I don't have a ton of experience hunting. I have hunted small game but I come from a family of mostly farmers and hunting was never a big thing for any of them. I've managed to do my fair share of fishing though and rebuilt an old aluminum boat that I'm pretty proud of.

I started getting really intrigued with hunting when I learned about all the conservation related aspects. I wouldn't mind filling my freezer with some high quality meat either. Hunting is also something I would like to pass down to kids when I have them.

I'm in Virginia with the Army right now and will be returning to MN in January. My plan is to pick up as much knowledge as I can and hit the ground running next year. I'm looking forward to a lot of ice fishing this winter though.

Anyhow, that's my story. I'll be doing a lot of lurking around here. This looks like a great forum and I can't wait to hear from you all.

North Country - good name. I began my hunting career 40 years ago there, the Gunflint Trail country. When you get home and hit the ground running , run up there to hunt Ruffies - you won't regret it. Try a cast and blast trip. I'll bet fall fishing up the Gunflint is still pretty great.

Last edited:
Welcome from another Minnesotan! Lots of great stuff to hunt in MN and we are close enough to drive to the western states. Great site here to learn things about hunting. Dont just be a lurker, contribute what you can and ask a lot of questions. As savvy and salty as the experienced hunters are here, there is something they havent hunted where they are rookies too!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Looks like there are more Minnesotans here than I expected. That's awesome. One of the first steps I am taking is just doing research into the public land hunting opportunities available in MN.

I could always hunt deer on my family's farm land, but I really want to see what else is out there.

Welcome! I too come from a farm family. As my dad got older the only hobby he had other than work was golf, don't get me wrong I enjoy golf occasionally, but whenever I wanted to go fish or hunt there wasn't enough time. Fast forward a bunch of years and I realized I was always too busy to take my kids fishing or hunting, trying to make amends for it now, even though they're all married. Ramblings of an old man - take your kids (and yourself) fishing and hunting.

Welcome, and thanks for your service! I didn't get into hunting early either but the good news is it's never too late. There is a lot of good discussion here for picking up pointers, but get involved in local conservation or sportsmen's groups if you can. Surrounding yourself with folks who share your interest can really help the learning curve.

Back