Milk River Velvet Bucks-Very Sad

dexnrex

As mentioned on another thread there is an outbreak of EHD in Eastern Montana and SW North Dakota. On the lower Milk River it is devestating. These deer survived record snow, prolonged record flooding, only to get a bug bite in August and die. This 1,2,3 punch is going to felt on the lower Milk for some time.

No doubt the population needed some adjustment down, but I talked to a neighbor who was cutting hay a couple nights ago and where he would normally see 50 deer, he saw 1.

Attachments

• DSCN9579.jpg
    DSCN9579.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,058
  • DSCN9582.jpg
    DSCN9582.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 984
  • DSCN9584.jpg
    DSCN9584.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,183
As mentioned on another thread there is an outbreak of EHD in Eastern Montana and SW North Dakota. On the lower Milk River it is devestating. These deer survived record snow, prolonged record flooding, only to get a bug bite in August and die. This 1,2,3 punch is going to felt on the lower Milk for some time.

No doubt the population needed some adjustment down, but I talked to a neighbor who was cutting hay a couple nights ago and where he would normally see 50 deer, he saw 1.

Horrible! Not a good year for a lot of our critters!

I've heard similar results from guys near Glasgow.....not good. Crazy extremes in weather this year....hopefully some survive.

I'm a few miles west of Glasgow. We seem to be ground zero for all Mother Nature has to dish out lately.

You would be surprised what a few million maggots can do in a day or two. Tuesday morning a doe died in the irrigation ditch next to my house. By evening the back yard stunk terribly, but by last evening the maggots had consumed all the flesh and there was almost no smell. The hide covered bones are all that is left. That being said some do stink for days especially when they die in clusters. I came across 3 in a 30 yd. stretch of drain ditch, that was a mess.

N.E. MT is much wetter and more humid than most years. That will help mother nature reclaim these deer.

Yep that is a crime, I saw that in northern Idaho about 5 years ago and it was bad! We still haven't recovered from it yet!

You can really see those maggots at work in that second photo. There was an outbreak in one of my shed hunting spots a few years ago, and I picked up a ton of buck heads along the river the next spring.

Figures, I have a archery hunt planned over there in Oct. They just can't get a break over there.

nube, EHD stands for epizootic hemmoragic disease. It is a virus that causes fever and internal hemmoraging. After a bite from an infected midge most die within a few days. Montana FWP has sent in samples to confirm the killer, and although have not heard the official word, I'm sure they will confirm EHD.

It is similar to blue tounge but they are distinct diseases.

Just talked to a farmer that has land between Glasgow and Hinsdale along the river. He said that "it just stinks", even has deer dying in the shelter belts around his house.

I guess ducks and geese are going to be my primary game of choice this year. They were already but I am not sure I will even hunt deer this year. The pheasants are few and far between as well.

Nemont

No breaks in that country this year. Sad i guess i will have to find a new spot.My frinds in Glasgow say the same thing and we had a outbreak last year to.

Just got done with the river road loop just west of Glasgow and where I would normally see 15+ deer per field I counted about 10 total in the 15 mile loop. Very sad indeed, and I have yet to see more than a couple antelope at all up here.

I got a bad feeling that this is much more wide spread that they think. The same thing seems to be happening here in 410 and in western 700 along the river. No deer down here in the alfalfa fields along the river at sunrise this morning. That is unheard of. Heard the same thing is going on to a lesser extent down by Grassrange and along the Flatwillow creek.

Back