Middle Fork of the Salmon

MTGomer

Does anybody have any experience floating the Middle Fork? A friend of a friend has drawn the tag for late August and I have been invited.
I have always wanted to hunt in there, so this is a good opportunity to see the country and think about that. I know there are several on here that have done the Unit 27 goat or sheep hunts.
I'm just looking for general knowledge. Is the river real low that late? Warm enough to swim? I'm guessing yes. How are the Hotsprings? Is there any air service companies to avoid? Or recommend? etc...

Thank you.

I floated it as a kid with my family and a couple others. I still remember it and it was awesome. Things I remember were big rapids, sleeping on sandy bars, hot springs on several stops, great fishing, swimming, sheep and those mountains go straight up from the river. I don't recall seeing great hunting country from the river because of how steep it was but looking high up the ridges began to open up but still super steep. Maybe someone else can chime in and have a more recent account of the adventure. I would go on that trip in a heart beat. I do think the water will be low but the fishing should be great behind some of those huge boulders in the river.

I floated a decent stretch as part of a November sheep hunt. Water was not swimmable then... ;) That said, if I had and invite and the time I would most certainly do a MF float trip. Super cool country!! Can't recommend a service company as my pard rented the gear and me, him, his dad and a dog just went.

Might want to contact Jose as I'm pretty sure he's spent a good amount of time on that river.

I absolutely love hunting that country. Have only hunted mule deer late in the season in there so I don't know about hunting it early. PM me with any questions and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

I've never drawn a permit for the MFS for peak season. I'm still tempted to go after the permit draw in late Sept.

There is a ton of info out there on the river. Use the search function on mountainbuzz.com.

It's a special place!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back