Caribou Gear

Mid-Range Camo?

Should have started off the thread with this: I'm not actively looking for stuff myself, but nothing popped up in the search and I was curious.

I've had a few friends ask me what I would suggest for gear that would work well for them without breaking the bank, but I was coming up short on suggestions since Bass Pro gutted my old go-to. Figured this would be a useful thread for anybody interested in getting into hunting, or for people trying to get friends/family into hunting on a budget.

Curious to know if anyone has experience of how the Midway store brand compares to some of these other brands. We have a few pieces in our house, and we've been satisfied, but we also haven't really torture tested it.

QQ

It's possible to have gear every bit as good or better than Sitka or Kuiu at a fraction of the cost by hunting in solid colors and buying last year's items from mountaineering brands on sites like Moosejaw and Steepandcheap.

Sitka isn't doing anything than Arcteryx, Mountain Hardwear, or Outdoor Research haven't already done. The only difference is the camo markup.

I have read reviews that the walmart Wrangler pants have stitching come undone in short time. The Wrangler atg I have seem to be a bit better quality. Still around $40-$45.
YMMV, but I haven't had that issue. I've hiked/hunted in mine a lot including climbing through deadfall. But doesn't hurt to tug on them a little in the store to test.

I've been very happy with the Stone Glacier pants I picked up last year, though they're on the expensive side.

It's possible to have gear every bit as good or better than Sitka or Kuiu at a fraction of the cost by hunting in solid colors and buying last year's items from mountaineering brands on sites like Moosejaw and Steepandcheap.

Sitka isn't doing anything than Arcteryx, Mountain Hardwear, or Outdoor Research haven't already done. The only difference is the camo markup.
Disagree

Those companies made cold weather climbing pants. They were tailored to fit with a harness and were not designed for pack hunting.

If anything Sitka and the like caused other outdoors companies to rethink pants. Prior to ~12' you were getting expedition pants/climbing pants or shorts and that was about it and lots of them were made of a cotton blend.

If you look at it purely from utility, an apples to apples outdoor research to kuiu is going to be pretty close in price as is Sitka to Arcteryx.

So I have some scentlok stuff (pair of pants, baselayers, and a top or two from clearance racks). Never really had anything else besides really cheap Walmart stuff. Is Kuiu, Firstlite, or Sitka gonna be a big difference? My main gripe is I swear to death even in their “early season” stuff. I know some swear by the scent stuff and others say it doesn’t work but just curious on your thoughts. I upgraded to Mystery Ranch from a horn hunter pack and that was definitely worth the money (might even pay to step up from mystery ranch not sure if it’s possible ). Just curious as to any else’s experiences.

For good quality at big discounts I keep an eye on Camofire. I bought a $450 set of Kryptek for only $189 a few weeks ago in there. Getting the sizes you need is the difficult part on a site like that but sometimes you can get lucky. But if youre just looking to outfit a beginner/novice hunter on a budget, Walmart, Academy etc is where I’d go. More expensive high quality gear can be added as they progress in desire and skill.

Someone pick me up a rotisserie chicken while you're at Costco.
😁. You will have to ask my mother in-law. We aren’t members but she does pick up a few things for us. Hard to beat some of those deals. We got a great deal on some large ribeyes last year. Absolutely fantastic on the smoker.

When I got back into hunting, I bought a bunch of cotton camo and after one archery hunt in Nevada, I dumped all of it. One day in the heat and sweat and I was ripe.

I love the new (to me) wool and synthetics. I use SKRE because I like the fit, the pattern, they're reasonably priced and mostly because they are based where I grew up in southern Utah. The downside is their limited selection. Also, unlike the most popular brands, SKRE have sales. Their customer service is fantastic too.

Be particular about camo if you turkey or duck hunt.
I like a camo fishing shirt with vents for turkey and deer archery hunting.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back