Mid-Range Camo?

R.K.

Somewhere between Sitka and Bass Pro/Redhead/Walmart. I used to go with the Cabela's stuff for a step up in quality that didn't completely kill the wallet- and I still have every last piece of it. But since the Bass Pro merger (aka- "gutting"), the quality simply isn't there.

So what does everyone go to now? Some company that makes clothing that will perform well, not break the bank, but last for several years of "moderate" use, fit for western hunting? For those of us that aren't full time guides, but aren't sitting in a TX tripod stand over corn feeders?

Think fabric, comfort, and utility. Camo is mostly a marketing gimmick. I have a few nice pieces in Sitka and most everything else is 80% Walmart mark-downs in Jan or Feb. I quit scent control last year and mostly quit camo as well, and it forces me to be a smarter hunter.

Those walmart wrangler pants are awesome but they recently changed the shape of the back pockets and I'm not as bout them as I used to be. Do those cosco pants have cargo pockets @MTLabrador ?

I have some plythal and skre stuff that's okay. Not too expensive. The fit of skre pants is...polarizing.

Those walmart wrangler pants are awesome but they recently changed the shape of the back pockets and I'm not as bout them as I used to be. Do those cosco pants have cargo pockets @MTLabrador ?

I have some plythal and skre stuff that's okay. Not too expensive. The fit of skre pants is...polarizing.
The Costco ones don’t. I have a pair of the wrangler outdoors too, and I prefer the Costco pants by quite a bit. They’re a heavier material and hold their shape in the waist better.

Think fabric, comfort, and utility. Camo is mostly a marketing gimmick. I have a few nice pieces in Sitka and most everything else is 80% Walmart mark-downs in Jan or Feb. I quit scent control last year and mostly quit camo as well, and it forces me to be a smarter hunter.

Utility. That's the one point that has me coming back to hunting brands. Multiple Zipper pockets, reinforced knees, cut of clothing, vents, not cotton.

It's just hard to find all of those characteristics in none hunting brands.

What about the Black Ovis stuff on camofire? I’ve only had their lightweight merino shirt so far but want to try others too. Anyone with more experience with their stuff?

I figured they wouldn’t be Sitka quality, that’s a bummer. I’d probably look for REI discount type stuff too. Prana, Outdoor Research, etc.
Now that I think about it, mine may be a "BC" brand or something, and those look like something else. Cheaper, too.

Utility. That's the one point that has me coming back to hunting brands. Multiple Zipper pockets, reinforced knees, cut of clothing, vents, not cotton.

👆, what he said.

While I like my el cheapo summer weight pants, I still haven’t found anything that I like better than Sitka mountain and timberline pants for hunting.

The Sitka stuff is very durable too, I’ve worn my original pants and jacket hard for 6 years now and they’re not slowing down.

I have read reviews that the walmart Wrangler pants have stitching come undone in short time. The Wrangler atg I have seem to be a bit better quality. Still around $40-$45.

I know you said you don't like the cheaper Cabela's bass pro stuff but have you looked at the instinct line of Cabela's clothing? It's their technical line. I use their parka and bibs for stand hunting and have found the quality very good. There are a number of different activity levels and lots of layering options. Less than sitka and kuiu with a similar concept.

Steep and cheap is a clearance site for backcountry.com site I believe. Lots of deals on better known and lesser known hiking gear there if you're willing to go away from camo or hunting specific gear.

Ever been hunting with a buddy who was wearing camo and you couldn't see him? Me either. Biggest scam in the world. Dont get me wrong 90% of what I hunt in is camo. Just because that's what was at the store.

Somewhere between Sitka and Bass Pro/Redhead/Walmart. I used to go with the Cabela's stuff for a step up in quality that didn't completely kill the wallet- and I still have every last piece of it. But since the Bass Pro merger (aka- "gutting"), the quality simply isn't there.

So what does everyone go to now? Some company that makes clothing that will perform well, not break the bank, but last for several years of "moderate" use, fit for western hunting? For those of us that aren't full time guides, but aren't sitting in a TX tripod stand over corn feeders?

Hunting brands are made for utility, troll the classifieds for lightly used stuff!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back