Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Michigan deer season in review

MITCHMO

It’s always bittersweet when you punch that last tag. I spent a ton of hours in a tree this season and had tons of fun. I waited for Mr big and never got him. I had a close call with the buck I wanted at the same time someone had three dogs chasing deer by me and ran him off. Michigan outlawed baiting this year and it really changed the deer activity. All the deer were heavily focused on acorns and I used my climbing tree stand to follow the squirrels and stay on the best acorn spots.
One night during bow, I knew I could hear a deer and kept looking around to finally see a buck sneaking behind me. I turned around and snuck an arrow through some pines to get him. I tracked him about 75 yards and saw blood everywhere.
8D098FAE-1D33-417F-9EF0-221F50884ECC.jpeg
I looked up and in disbelief I saw a buck take off at full speed running away and was dumb founded. I almost turned around but went a little further to find my buck piled up. It was a second buck that ran off and made my heart sink.
62FB83A2-19E4-482C-B7D9-6DF6381DBAE2.jpeg
Friends quickly arrived on the scene to high five and start dragging.
I hunted hard during rifle and never saw a decent buck. I was starting to get frustrated. But at least I was seeing animals. I even saw 5 bobcats one afternoon right in the middle of the day! 3 were kittens and they acted as if they were spring loaded. Watched for at least 1/2 hr. Towards the end of the season I took my climber into to some oaks that still had acorns under them. Just when I thought my rifle season wasn’t going to pan out, I caught movement over my shoulder and made a quick shot on a nice big body 8 point.
BFDB954A-1C0B-4F5C-8152-562CD285195C.jpeg
That was a special night for me as it was the first time I was able to take my kids tracking. Normally I’m way too far in some hellhole to get them in there.

I decided I was done until a buddy was having some tough luck. I told him we could try one of my spots and off we went. Thanksgiving morning found us sneaking up a big oak ridge and spreading out a couple hundred yards from each other. Once again I had my climber and found a tree on a small finger that came down the ridge. Shortly after daylight I heard my buddy shoot. Two does ran over to me a few minutes later and started feeding on acorns under the snow. One got about 40 yards and I couldn’t resist. After a well placed shot from my old 44mag, we had ourselves a thanksgiving double.
0FA40E4D-D2CA-451D-A211-D813C57DD3FF.jpeg

I’ll probably head to Kentucky to visit a friend and I’ll be bringing the smoke pole. If there is a continuation of this story, I’ll be sure to add to it.

Well Kentucky was awesome but didn’t pan out for me. Had a giant come by twice but never got a good enough look to judge age. My buddy works very hard to only shoot mature deer so I was trying to follow the rules. I did have a nice mature deer spend 1/2 hr in front of me then walk over to my buddy who promptly put him on the ground. So much fun and a lot of rut action during that second rut. Check out how much bigger he is than the 1 1/2 year olds.
8F48596B-A6B3-4BDA-AD82-86AB51DBC106.jpeg
Everyone is looking a little beat up by this time of year :)
Here’s him on the ground. Fun to watch my buddy shoot him as we were only 200 yards apart!
46B9A2A1-46B8-41C3-9592-CC9E94D2BC9E.png
A couple more non shooters that made this Michigan boy cry.
891FDE0C-3A3E-4F47-B43C-E1449D49193B.jpeg
67A19370-D127-4FA6-B292-473AB9FB208D.jpeg
074622D2-8D9A-4207-B6B0-540D054ED1E5.jpeg

congrats and thanks for sharing,

Fullquiver, where abouts in Newaygo? My property is on Beech Road, some real dandy bucks runnin around.

Brian aka undercover

A good buddy of mine is in Remus and there are some big bucks down that way. Lots of critters! Im jealous of you guys. I’m supposed to head down there to do some beaver trapping soon.
There are huge bucks near Remus. Lots of large tracts with great hunter restraint on the little guys. One camp I know were shooting 130” deer every year and now those bucks are left alone to grow some more

I have had a lot of chances to hunt out of state and I have turn them all down, it just does not feel right to leave Michigan to hunt when the hunting is so good here !!!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back