Caribou Gear

MI cow Elk Tag

Fullquiver

I was very lucky and drew a MI cow Elk Tag for our December hunt. I'm thinking what I should bring as my rifle. I have a couple of 308 Win. I'm expecting shots would be much closer here in MI than in the West. Both rifles shoot very well with several different bullet combinations. However I am thinking about the 99 Savage in 308 that was my father's rifle that my Grampa bought him. It shoots 150gr partitions very well and for sentimental reasons I am leaning towards it. It's a 1.5 MOA rifle with the Partitions.

It's likely a once in a lifetime chance for me here in MI. Any advice would be appreciated..

BTW this is my first Elk hunt anywhere..

Last edited:
Congratulations! How many points did you manage to draw that with?

Id say take whatever rifle you shoot most comfortably with. Either caliber kills alot of elk - the velocity and impact energy at the shorter distances here will probably render the point somewhat moot. Provided you can place the shot. I haven't looked at hunting territory, but the bigger rifle might be advantageous if there is a chance of the animal leaving accessible land.

I was very lucky and drew a MI cow Elk Tag for our December hunt. I'm thinking what I should bring as my rifle. I have a couple of 308 Win and a 270win. I'm expecting shots would be much closer here in MI than in the West. Both rifles shoot very well with several different bullet combinations. However I am thinking about the 99 Savage in 308 that was my father's rifle that my Grampa bought him. It shoots 150gr partitions very well and for sentimental reasons I am leaning towards it. It's a 1.5 MOA rifle with the Partitions. My 270 shoots lights out with 130 GR Interbonds or with 150 Speer Grand Slams..

It's likely a once in a lifetime chance for me here in MI. Any advice would be appreciated..

BTW this is my first Elk hunt anywhere..

I'm originally from Michigan, so i know the country well. Your likely to get out to 200yards on the high end, but like you said it will likely result in closer opportunities. Go with the 150s or bigger if you can. 130 will do the job, but the jungles in Michigan are thicker then people realize and critters can vanish quick and in a hurry. Some knockdown power will only help. that 308 or 270 will do the job, so go with whatever one means most to you.

Good luck! Also dont ever pass by elk to find elk.

Congrats to you on the tag!!! Sounds like you’ve got the rifle and Ammo you need. .308 with those partitions will kill any elk you’d care to shoot. Put it where it needs to go and enjoy some fine eating.

Congratulations! How many points did you manage to draw that with?

Id say take whatever rifle you shoot most comfortably with. Either caliber kills alot of elk - the velocity and impact energy at the shorter distances here will probably render the point somewhat moot. Provided you can place the shot. I haven't looked at hunting territory, but the bigger rifle might be advantageous if there is a chance of the animal leaving accessible land.
I had 12 points when I drew my tag. I'm pretty excited for the opportunity.

Congrats on drawing a home-state tag. Points again for me this year. I hope for the best of luck on your hunt!!

Am I correct in thinking that most of the Michigan Elk are east of I 75?

Back