Meet Freyja, My Peregrine Falcon

406LIFE

IMG_20210905_101255_258.jpg

Some of you followed my journey with Grinnell, and now I am on a new one with Freyja. Falcons and Hawks are very different and I am finding that to be true on many levels.

Quick facts:
-Hatched three months ago.
-Her name is pronounced fre-ya, a Norse Goddess.
-We have peregrine's in the wild thanks to falconers after DDT, see Peregrine Fund.
- We will be chasing ducks, pheasants, and quail.
-She wears some jewelry on her right ankle, a permanent band for ID.
-She weighs in at 1040g.

I'll prob post updates infrequently here, but you can find more on Freyja and falconry on my IG: @everettheadley

Very cool!!!
Do you still have Grinnell?
I released Grinnell this past spring. She was fat and full feathered. I wish rabbit numbers were higher to be able to keep her, but they are suffering and RHD is on the horizon, so it wasn't right to keep her.

Very cool. Is she wild or captive-bred?

In another lifetime I worked on Peregrine Falcon recovery efforts in Colorado at the very end of the program, just before and after they were delisted. For those who would like to read more about peregrine recovery, the monograph at the following link chronicles the effort in Colorado, which was similar to other areas of the country. I consider Jerry Craig and the late Jim Enderson great friends.
PEREGRINE FALCON BIOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT IN COLORADO 1973 - 2001

Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to the updates.

Much respect for you sir. Thanks for posting this and for keeping us updated.

Way cool, have always been fascinated by falconry and the dedication involved in such an endeavor. Thanks for the share!

Latest update on Freyja:

20220322_171350.jpg
Freyja dropped her first feathers. This is exciting since it's earlier than my redtail, which hopefully means she'll be done sooner. It doubly exciting since she will loose the brown drab and grow into the classic steel-gray back and barred chest.

Other falcon molting facts:
-Feathers are dropped symmetrically, the same feather on both sides.
-The first to drop is the middle primary and then working towards the tip.of the wings.
-It can take 5-8 weeks for a feather to fully grow.
-Blood will circulate in the shaft until the fetaher is fully grown and hard-penned.

A pre-2022 Season Update:

20220711_183323.jpg

Freyja is just about to turn one and head into her first season of hunting. Last year we didn't get into flying/hunting as I didn't really want to rush it with her. She was an expensive bird and one I plan to have for a long time.

Falcons begin their molt in late spring, and I think Freyja dropped her first ones in April. They will drop feathers symmetrically (same feather on each side) and predictably (on the wing they will most from the innermost to the outermost and on the tail from the center (the deck feathers to the outside edges). This makes sense because it allows them to continue to fly with minimal issue from being down a few feathers. During the molt we try to keep our birds well fed and stress free. Damages during this time to feathers can lead to weak and misshapen feathers that will impact their ability to fly. As a passage bird (juvenile) transitioning to a haggard (adult) bird she is loosing the drab brown and replacing it with a sleek steel-gray.
And while we wait for her to finish feathering (hard penned) I am starting to work with her in an area called "manning." In its simplest explanation this is taming her down and acclimating her to my presence. But its also about strengthening the bond and trust between us. This means lots of time on the fist watching Nat Geo or conference calls on zoom. She also has a perch in my office she sits on just to observe from a height. It's also time in the mews (her outside aviary) jumping to the fist and generally being around me.

The timing of the rest of her training is on her. Besides the molt, her progress will depend on her willingness to take my lead. I'm not teaching her to hunt, only to see that cooperating me makes us both more successful. I think most falconers would skip the time called inter-mewing to be able to hunt year round, but the natural break is good for all. It builds the excitement and anticipation for another season.

cool part of the sport - always had interest in falconry but never took the time - enjoy

Back