Medium Quality Bino's

Sure you can get away with it and I'd probably advise that.

I played the optics upgrade game for probably 4-5 pair of binos. For what i had spent on optics that were not satisfactory, I could have bout 2 pairs of swaros.

Years ago, when I was working as a guide, I had the opportunity to get a pair of Swaro 10x42 SLC's for roughly wholesale. I worked for 3 weeks for no pay to pay for them, we didn't make squat! That was 1994 I think. Since then I have sent them back to Swarovski twice. The first time was because I had set them on top of the rig when we got back from a long hike spring bear hunting, and when we left, I looked in the rear view to see them cartwheeling down the muddy gravelled road! They completely rebuilt them free of charge! The second time I opened the back door and they fell out and landed right square on the eyepiece of one of the barrels. They completely repaired them again including replacing the rubber armoring, and eyepiece lenses, and never any cost for any of it. I know everyone has their own opinion on what's best. I can assure you that I do after my experiences with Swarovski! It makes that three weeks working for no pay so long ago, seem like a damn good investment now.

I have gotten lots of miles out of my Cabelas Euro 10x42's.

I started out with Cabelas Alaskan Guides but the eye cups busted, they gave me full price on the return about 8 years later and then I had a pair of boots to return, didn't cost a penny to upgrade and have had no need to consider the next step up.

Pronghorn may be something you don't spend much time behind the glass, but 20 minutes behind bad glass will give you a headache and make a 10 hour glassing session suck for hunting other game out west.

Good luck.

Your Bushnells will work just fine for this year. You'll have just as much fun hunting antelope with those as glass costing 5x as much. Not only that, but you won't have to worry about having two pairs of binoculars in the same room, at the same time, in your fiancé's presence. I had a couple of close calls last year with my new Zeiss Conquests when my fiancé (now wife) walked into my hunting room without warning.

Congrats on the engagement. Have fun planning the wedding :p

If you are considering holding off a year, then you can also look at renting some high end optics. This is what I will likely do if I am able to get a western big mountain hunt in before I move out west.

glass isn't something that you will ever regret spending money on. Just like a good scope, a decent pair of binos will enhance your experience even if you never glass across a canyon or arroyo. In the deep woods, good glass is a godsend just as it is out west.

Luckily for hunters, you can get good, servicable glass for decent prices these days. I am more than happy with my therons, and you will be too.

Medium priced glass is a much different beast than it was even 5 years ago. Theron's warranty is also top notch. It's an investment that out kicks it's coverage. In 10 years, you'll not complain about those binos.

I bought a pair of Viper HD's a few years ago and its some of the best money I ever spent. My little brother has Swor's and yep they are really nice. IMHO they are not 4X better than my vortex glass. If I had 2K to spend on glass then I prob would buy the swaro's but I don't have the money. I have sat in camp and traded glass with all the big name binos and for me with 20/20 vision and 37 year old eyes its extremely hard to tell a diff between my $500 glass and the $2,000 binos. Every one told me "buy the best binos you can afford" and that was great advice. On a side note every one who has handed me their high end binos and looked thourgh my vortex has been impressd with the vortex... but they wouldn't trade me.
You will never regret buying good binos.

If you don't spend $500 this year you should have it to spend with the$1000 you were planning on spending next year. $1500 will get you some nice glass. Like everyone says buy once

Does anybody know anything about ZenRay, athlon, maven, or tract?
Athlon supposedly has their glass made in the same factory as Vortex. Zen is big with birders, but not really marketed to hunters.
Everybody seems content with vortex as a mid range binocular, I'm just curious if there are others of similar quality that might cost less. For example Athlon Cronus is $599.

I've recently did a little research on mavens and my interest is peaked. Just wish a guy could look thru them

I've recently did a little research on mavens and my interest is peaked. Just wish a guy could look thru them

I was looking at the Maven's last month at the show in Harrisburg, PA show. They looked clear but they were by themselves so I couldn't compare them to anything. I also didn't know anything about them.

Does anybody know anything about ZenRay, athlon, maven, or tract?
Athlon supposedly has their glass made in the same factory as Vortex. Zen is big with birders, but not really marketed to hunters.
Everybody seems content with vortex as a mid range binocular, I'm just curious if there are others of similar quality that might cost less. For example Athlon Cronus is $599.
PM sent . The Theron Questa are the same binoculars as one of the highest models of one of the brands you mentioned at a much lower price. Do check them out.

How many first time antelope hunters can actually judge one anyways?
Use what you have you may need some Ibuprofen at the end of the day but put the sun at your back and push through the eye fatigue you will spot a goat you will like.

Buy a set of used Meopta/Cableas Euros, heads and shoulders above what the Asians produce..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back