Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Medicine Bow Wyoming Type 6

CubsFan

I'm looking to apply for a type 6 tag in the Medicine Bow area and wondering if any of the units is really better than the others.

Unit 9 - Has by far the highest odd in 2016 at 96% draw. It has an * for access issues but there appears to be plenty of national forest in the unit.

Unit 10 - 43% draw odds in 2016 again an * but also seems to be plenty of NF.

Unit 12 - 34% odds and no *.

Unit 110 - 25% odds and no * but wilderness areas that I won't be able to hunt in.

I live in Colorado so if I don't draw this tag I will still be hunting elk in 2018. My question is, are any of the units 10,12,110 that superior to unit 9 to justify not just putting in for the unit with the best odds? If anyone knows the area well I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

You need to be careful when applying for those type tags because they have various dates they are good for and some of the dates are only for private land or a certain section of the unit. You can find that information if you look up last seasons regulations for each unit and will see what I mean if you aren't already aware of what I mentioned.

I'm not sure about unit 10, but just make sure that the national forest you see on the map isn't wilderness area if you didnt already. Which is off limits to non resident without a guide or resident companion. I've done that before while researching units with the * that looked good only to find the majority of national Forrest is wilderness there. Good luck!

All of the units you listed have plenty of elk. The only unit I haven't spent a lot of time in is Unit 12. Given the list you provided I'd personally choose to hunt in the following order: 110, 10, 9, 12. Unit 12 could be a great unit but I just haven't spent a lot of time there. The only unit with wilderness restrictions is Unit 110. Topgun is right about checking out the dates related to hunting on private land only. Most of the time you won't have to worry about private land restrictions in the Snowies until the later part of the season (Dec. - Jan). Another good option if you're driving up from CO is to check out Unit 7. I think the nonresident cow tag odds are around 60%. Good luck!

I'm doing the same this year, but have a back up unit out of the medicine bow if I don't draw first choice. I think the demand for cow tags in that area depends on two things. First gen elk hunters picking up a cow tag as a just in case, and 2nd some units look a little easier to hunt later in the season when they are pushing off the mountain.

I also put in for the Medicine bow area for my first ever elk hunt. I was wondering why you put the * for unit for accessibility? More so curious about what I overlooked.

I wouldn't worry about the amount of wilderness in any of the Medicine Bow areas. Plenty of elk hunting ground without it.
The cow tags are only restricted to private very early in the season and some areas late, Dec and Jan. You get the entire months of Oct and Nov to fill those cow tags. 10 does have a private access HMA for cow hunting.I do believe the cow tags are valid on the forest during the archery season.
No one mentioned 8 and I would stay away from it unless you have lots of time to fill that tag. This year the elk have stayed down in Colorado and evn folks with many acres of private haven't filled their cow tags yet.

plenty of elk. Areas 9,10 have a early season opening august 15 but it is only valid on private land. if not you can hunt all of September with a bow and then hunt starting October 1 with a rifle. Plenty of public land with the Nation forest. Shouldn't have any trouble finding a cow.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

You need to be careful when applying for those type tags because they have various dates they are good for and some of the dates are only for private land or a certain section of the unit. You can find that information if you look up last seasons regulations for each unit and will see what I mean if you aren't already aware of what I mentioned.

Thanks I took a good look at the regs and I think only unit 11 is like that where the tag is only valid off NF land so I'm not even considering that unit.

I'm not sure about unit 10, but just make sure that the national forest you see on the map isn't wilderness area if you didnt already. Which is off limits to non resident without a guide or resident companion. I've done that before while researching units with the * that looked good only to find the majority of national Forrest is wilderness there. Good luck!

Thanks looks like only 110 has wilderness area and it is only a smallish portion of the total NF land available.

@bluesulphur - Thanks for the advice I will check out unit 7 as well.

@midwesthunter - For all the hunters picking up a cow tag just in case wouldn't they be putting in for 2nd choice so in theory I would be ahead of all of them?

@AKal - The * are straight from the Wyoming website. The eastern half of those units is all private but I don't think that is where you would be finding elk anyways. That is my theory on why they are listed as such but it is possible I am overlooking something.

@ all others - Thanks for the help.

Cow /calf tags are random, drawn separate from the other elk tags so you're in the same boat as everyone else applying for them. Type 4 antlerless tags are drawn in the PP pool.
You'll find lots of hunters applying for cow tags with no PP so they can come hunt elk and learn an area for a possible future bull hunt.

That area 7 type 4 antlerless tag could be drawn with no PP and would be a good cow tag to have. You could come out for a late Sept archery hunt and grouse hunt then be here for Oct 1 rifle opener. Access is not an issue in 11. You would not accrue any PP if you draw the type 4 tag on your first choice.

I believe the * is based on acreage. Looks like perhaps just over half of the acreage in each Snowy Range area is private so that is why they list it difficult access. Plenty of forest land to hunt without issues. Elk will move down to private with snow later in the winter but you shouldn't have an issue filling a cow tag earlier in the season if you put in the time and effort. Lots of that private is prime elk habitat so don't discount that factor. Many have been taken as they try to move down on the private, travel corridors.

I put in for a unit 13 type 6 for this coming fall. If the dates are the same as last season, it will coincide nicely with the muledeer tags dad and I hope to draw. It is unit 81 deer. We should have the points for the deer tag, assuming that there isn't a huge jump from last year.

I put in for a unit 13 type 6 for this coming fall. If the dates are the same as last season, it will coincide nicely with the muledeer tags dad and I hope to draw. It is unit 81 deer. We should have the points for the deer tag, assuming that there isn't a huge jump from last year.

IMHO it's not wise to go onto a major hunting website like this and tell everyone what units you're putting in for when the application period is still open, especially when the deer and antelope application period goes four more months until the end of May.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@midwesthunter - For all the hunters picking up a cow tag just in case wouldn't they be putting in for 2nd choice so in theory I would be ahead of all of them?

For a cow tag you would be in the same pool as them. Cow/doe tags are random drawings. So they could pick there three bull choices and then two more cow choices.
For what I mean by "just in case", say they have a bull only tag and last day day or two they will shoot a cow if chance presents its self. Or They tag out on bull early and want to keep hunting.

IMHO it's not wise to go onto a major hunting website like this and tell everyone what units you're putting in for when the application period is still open, especially when the deer and antelope application period goes four more months until the end of May.

Maybe not, but what's done is done. I don't think it matters much, the cow tag is just an option for me and anyone with the points for the deer tag has just as much a right as I do to put in for it. If I don't draw well then I guess I can just blame myself. I'll hunt somewhere this year no matter what.

Thanks for the info about the cow tags being a separate draw. I'm going to just buy a preference point and throw in for one of those Medicine Bow unit cow tags. If I don't draw this year I still know I'll be hunting in 2018.

I have a general elk tag i am from out of state. Thinking bout archery in unit 9 and 10 any info would be greatly appreciated

I'm looking to apply for a type 6 tag in the Medicine Bow area and wondering if any of the units is really better than the others.

Unit 9 - Has by far the highest odd in 2016 at 96% draw. It has an * for access issues but there appears to be plenty of national forest in the unit.

Unit 10 - 43% draw odds in 2016 again an * but also seems to be plenty of NF.

Unit 12 - 34% odds and no *.

Unit 110 - 25% odds and no * but wilderness areas that I won't be able to hunt in.

I live in Colorado so if I don't draw this tag I will still be hunting elk in 2018. My question is, are any of the units 10,12,110 that superior to unit 9 to justify not just putting in for the unit with the best odds? If anyone knows the area well I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!
Both 9 and 10 have lots of national forest and no wilderness. I've hunted 9. This thread is 2 years old now, and it burnt in 2020, so give it a few years and it should have some lovely forage. The pine beetles made it nearly impassable in 2019 and you couldn't hunt in 9 during 2020 due to the fire

Last edited:
Both 9 and 10 have lots of national forest and no wilderness. I've hunted 9. This thread is 2 years old now, and it burnt in 2021, so give it a few years and it should have some lovely forage. The pine beetles made it nearly impassable in 2020 and you couldn't hunt in 9 during 2021 due to the fire

Do you mean it burned in 2020? or can you see an upcoming fire in the crystal ball.😁🤣

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bo.mooneyham
Back