Medicine Bow/Mullen Fire

Well we never made it a week. As reference we ran it full out for 8 hours and it probably took care of 2/3 of a 20# tank. Switched to wood after that one.
Will crap. It might be a cold trip this year. That's allot of gas to haul. Buying electric blankets tomorrow!

Will crap. It might be a cold trip this year. That's allot of gas to haul. Buying electric blankets tomorrow!
We're in the same boat. Leaving the woodstove at home. Have a 2 burner Mr. Heater. Should get 2 nights from one 20# bottle. Bringing along 4 - 20# and 1 - 40# cylinder.

I agree it needed burned, but I’m not a fan of burns that kick me out of my house. On the plus side, maybe Savage Run will be easier to hike through. My prayers go out to those who lost their cabins in lower Keystone, Foxborough, and Lake Creek.

This is the view of it this evening from my front porch in Rawlins. It’s 60+ miles away as the crow flys.

237975B3-7255-46AF-BF35-E470E470285C.jpeg

No rain in the forecast anytime soon either. I hope the winds die down so they can get infront of this one.

This mornings report says it’s now over 117k acres in size making it one of the biggest fires in the country right now.

Looking at the 10 day outlook, I'd say it's a pretty good bet it'll burn up a good share of Sheep Mountain as well.

Looking at the 10 day outlook, I'd say it's a pretty good bet it'll burn up a good share of Sheep Mountain as well.
We've had a nice NW wind flow lately so maybe Sheep Mt will be spared, at least the part that did not burn a few years ago.

It's kinda changing my plans on how to hunt our unit 81 tag since I can't get access to the lower portion of the unit from 230 since it is closed from Riverside to the Colorado border. I think we might just end up trying to camp at the Encampment River campground if we get lucky enough to find a spot. I'm kinda at a loss since I've only been through that area a few times.

A friend of mine lives just north of Woodslanding and said they were able to return to their house yesterday. The fire activity looks pretty low on that side of the fire, so Sheep mnt may not get burned. South side of the fire is a whole different story.

Driving up for our pronghorn hunt on Saturday we passed by to the East. It was like we were headed into armageddon.

uc

I’m about to say famous last words, and could end up eating crow. “Sheep mtn will be just fine with the squirrel creek and badger Creek burn scars.” They’ve done a good job keeping the fire from getting to structures on fox creek road. It looks like 3-way/state line ranch will be a stopping point for the southeast movement along the Platte River.

We had a very smoky morning in Saratoga Saturday and cut our pronghorn hunt short due to visibility issues. They were back burning near the SE corner of the fire and that smoke settled into the Platte valley.

Sounding like they may, or have caught it on 230/127 on the south end...the east side just doesn't have the anchor points.

Wind could change everything.

What I'm worried about is new ignitions with people not adhering to the fire restrictions.

We had a very smoky morning in Saratoga Saturday and cut our pronghorn hunt short due to visibility issues. They were back burning near the SE corner of the fire and that smoke settled into the Platte valley.
You should have waited, it cleared up late morning.

Back