Meat processor/shipper Dillingham Alaska

teamhoyt

Anyone have some contacts for someone that can cut and freeze meat/capes and/or take care of shipping in dillingham area?
Thanks

I would contact D&C Expeditors, or talk to your transporter about getting meat back to Anchorage via air cargo. I doubt there is anyone in Dillingham who processes meat. There is only a handful of processors in the state.

Talked with d&c, they don't deal with meat they said, just horns and capes, grocery store cuts meat bu won't put a cape in the Freezer. The transporter don't/won't touch it once he gets back, wants you to fly out and deal with the meat then he'll fly you back in. I see a business opertunity.

The logistics of dealing with meat and cape/horns is a pain.

If it was me, I would flesh and salt the hide in the field, keep the meat with me in the field. Then fly all the meat back to Anchorage when I go and drop it off at a processor and pray they have space and have a backup plan. Many fill up and don't have room... even if you have the grocery store do it would they get it done before you leave? That will be a very expensive shipping charge from Dillingham.

Much of the meat taken by NR and some residents, hunters gets donated, due to logistics and more often, due to costs of getting it home. People will spend $8-10k bit not another $1000 for the meat. The locals that get the donations are more than happy to take it though.

Sure there is an opportunity for a business, if it was viable there would be one. Note what I said before. Most NR are here for the antlers and adventure, meat is secondary of they won't pay to ship the meat they aren'tgoing to pay to have someone do the logistics. I know a guy who tried to do this locally, and couldn't make it work. In the biggest market in the state...

Many transporters don't want to deal with the whole transfer of possession issues, and maintaining other peoples meat. It's a full time job and added cost.

Getting meat out of Dillingham is a big pain. Penn Air accepted our moose meat and then left it setting for a week in the sun and told us to pound sand. What we ended up doing on other trips was to donate all but about 50-60# which we took as luggage to Anchorage. We donated the meat while we were in camp and the natives came and got it. You can end up with 600#of meat from a big bull.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back