Meat Cuts

SPDSpappy

I leave for my first muley/pronghorn hunt tomorrow. The outfitter I’m going with only allows the animals to be brought to the processor rather than allowing clients to do the processing. My question for all the antelope/mule deer meat lovers is what cuts of meat should I get done (e.g., should I get any steaks out of the hind quarters)? I found a lot of threads talking about how to cool it down and if you should age the meat, but nothing about what cuts to do.

While I’m at it, what about elk? I normally grind up all the front/hind quarter meat, but I already have a lot of ground in the freezer and I might like to try some steaks. Although, my family loves venison burgers way better than beef ones!!!

Not sure if all processors are the same but the few I've used, the steaks where similar to a ham steak. Just a cross cut of the entire rear quarter. I like separating them on the seams, pounding them thin and either chicken frying them, or making venison parm. For grilling steaks i think you would be better off getting everything cut into roasts, then if you want steaks cut them yourself.

Not sure if all processors are the same but the few I've used, the steaks where similar to a ham steak. Just a cross cut of the entire rear quarter. I like separating them on the seams, pounding them thin and either chicken frying them, or making venison parm. For grilling steaks i think you would be better off getting everything cut into roasts, then if you want steaks cut them yourself.
X2

I don't use a processor but if I did I would have him cube some. Cube steaks are great for chicken fried steak.

We're big on stewing and braising neck, shank and shoulder meat. If I was going to a processor I would want all of the neck and shoulder meat left in big chunks (bone in for the shoulder and shank) if possible. For grilling I prefer bigger pieces as opposed to steaks as well. I think it retains the moisture better. I would ask to have all of the roasts off of the hind quarters left in good sized pieces or whole. Same for the back strap. Bigger pieces (1 to 2 pounds depending on how many people you normally feed) as opposed to steaks. You can always steak the meat when you thaw it if you want. I don't know if processors work this way but that's what I'd want. The rest of the loose meat would be burger.

Last edited:
We're big on stewing and braising neck, shank and shoulder meat. If I was going to a processor I would want all of the neck and shoulder meat left in big chunks (bone in for the shoulder and shank) if possible. For grilling I prefer bigger pieces as opposed to steaks as well. I think it retains the moisture better. I would ask to have all of the roasts off of the hind quarters left in good sized pieces or whole. Same for the back strap. Bigger pieces (1 to 2 pounds depending on how many people you normally feed) as opposed to steaks. You can always stake the meat when you thaw it if you want. I don't know if processors work this way but that's what I'd want. The rest of the loose meat would be burger.
^^^This sounds great. There are lots of great steaks to be had on a deer and elk. If I had to take an animal to a processor I would ask for primal cuts so I could further process at home. Flat irons, tri tips , sirloins and strap chops all deserve steak status. Stew meat instead of burger maybe too. Might save on the processing charge too. Steaks are great just don't overcook and sometimes too rare can be chewy.

Venison steaks are tough for me to cook to perfection. I've been much happier since I've been processing them into whole roasts. I cook to rare and then slice. It's much harder to screw up. I'd definitely be questioning the outfitter, though. That rule makes no sense to me. Nobody touches my wild game meat except myself.

Back