Meanwhile in New Hampshire

If he's elected he will probably look that way naturally by the end of his first term. Nothing will make you pull your hair out like herding cats.

If he's elected he will probably look that way naturally by the end of his first term. Nothing will make you pull your hair out like herding cats.

Yeah nothing ages a person like the presidency. Just look what it would do to Bernie....

Attachments

• bernie office.jpg
    bernie office.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 293
Question: When they are saying 4% or 10% of the vote is in, they have called it for Trump/Sanders, and they are saying there are tons of people in traffic jams who will be deemed to be in line and can still vote, how can they call it? Won't some folks just go home and not vote if they are told it's a done deal? Wouldn't some or all of the candidates want to know what the margins would have been had everyone voted? Is the media undermining the process?

I'm a political neophyte and don't claim to understand how all this works so I'm just trying to figure it out.

Question: When they are saying 4% or 10% of the vote is in, they have called it for Trump/Sanders, and they are saying there are tons of people in traffic jams who will be deemed to be in line and can still vote, how can they call it? Won't some folks just go home and not vote if they are told it's a done deal? Wouldn't some or all of the candidates want to know what the margins would have been had everyone voted? Is the media undermining the process?

I'm a political neophyte and don't claim to understand how all this works so I'm just trying to figure it out.

I don't think they vote all night. They shut the polls down.

I don't think they vote all night. They shut the polls down.

I get that. But with only a small fraction of the votes counted and the people in lines (which they have extended to include traffic jams on the way to the polls) told they can still vote, it just seems early to call it, and calling it would make those people turn around and go home. I'm sure they can hear it on the radio or friends/family on the cell phone.

I get that. But with only a small fraction of the votes counted and the people in lines (which they have extended to include traffic jams on the way to the polls) told they can still vote, it just seems early to call it, and calling it would make those people turn around and go home. I'm sure they can hear it on the radio or friends/family on the cell phone.

I'm not exactly sure how they do it in NH, but I think that after 2000, news outlets are pretty cautious and don't call elections until it is a statistical impossiblility for another candidate to win.

I'm not exactly sure how they do it in NH, but I think that after 2000, news outlets are pretty cautious and don't call elections until it is a statistical impossiblility for another candidate to win.

I guess that makes sense. If they know how many votes are outstanding and how many have not been cast that will be or would have been cast, and even then there was a statistical impossibility, their call would be accurate.

Even then, though, it would dissuade folks from voting if they thought it was a waste of time, and thus skew the margins. Example: they have Sanders at 58% and Clinton at 40%. I would think Sanders would like that to be 65% to 35% but we may never know if people go home without voting. Huge or narrow margins could affect how voters in other states view the candidates, and how the candidates plan to move forward with their campaigns, or not.

[Secretly I'd like to see a blood bath for Trump and Sanders, sending the machine running into a corner with it's tail between it's legs. The only thing better than that is when the media has to eat crow.]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back