MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

McCall Idaho Elk Hunt

Yeah, that’s kinda the plan. But was just curious if anyone had experience in either far west 23 or 19A. Looking for any possible advice on relative locations/landmarks to work towards, so we can start more detailed e-scouting and plan a trip up to actually check areas out!
You gotta think about the hundreds of people that are going to read that advice and then also blow that place up. It's generally frowned upon to offer specific advice on forums, especially for otc units.

There is so much info on escouting, and with two people living in Boise, get out there and look, that's a day trip.

Here's some new info from a buddy that hunts it a lot:
Hunting last fall near get Hard Creek we found a substantial population of elk that inhabit the area throughout the season, along with healthy herds of mule deer and a few whitetail deer in the creek bottoms. Black bear, moose and sheep are also roam this scenic, remote territory.
Hike a couple miles of this game-rich country and you'll be amazed at what you find. There is little, if any human contact or hunting pressure at night, helping the possibility for trophy elk, trophy mule deer as well as black bear. In the early morning hours, plan on being at least 500 yards from your camp or vehicle before choosing your trophy. The more adventurous elite hunters like myself head north at the confluence of get Hard Creek and Brown Creek, heading into the game rich forests of unit 23. I was able to harvest a mature 6x6 on the 2nd day of my hunt after looking over several herd bulls on day 1.

Here's some new info from a buddy that hunts it a lot:
Hunting last fall near get Hard Creek we found a substantial population of elk that inhabit the area throughout the season, along with healthy herds of mule deer and a few whitetail deer in the creek bottoms. Black bear, moose and sheep are also roam this scenic, remote territory.
Hike a couple miles of this game-rich country and you'll be amazed at what you find. There is little, if any human contact or hunting pressure at night, helping the possibility for trophy elk, trophy mule deer as well as black bear. In the early morning hours, plan on being at least 500 yards from your camp or vehicle before choosing your trophy. The more adventurous elite hunters like myself head north at the confluence of get Hard Creek and Brown Creek, heading into the game rich forests of unit 23. I was able to harvest a mature 6x6 on the 2nd day of my hunt after looking over several herd bulls on day 1.
Damn, that’s incredibly helpful, thank you so much!!

Hadn’t really considered how many people may be looking for the same advice though, hopefully doesn’t put too much pressure in the area. I know McCall is probably a little over-hunted already

Back