McCain Comes out AGAINST Hunting and Fishing

JoseCuervo

Just as all hunters and fishermen have feared, McCain just wants 4 more years of Bush's anti-hunting and anti-fishing policies.

Spokeswoman Crystal Benton for John McCain: "His priorities first and foremost would be energy security. At the same time he supports existing and increased efforts to improve salmon migration."

Asked whether he supported breaching that year, McCain responded, "I want to see the science first." That was interpreted as leaving the door open for breaching the four dams, which a majority of fisheries biologists say may need to go for Snake River salmon to survive. Bush flatly opposed breaching and made preserving the dams the centerpiece of his Columbia-Snake salmon policy.

This time, McCain wants to be clear.

"Sen. McCain supports preserving the role of the Snake River dams first, for energy security, and second, because of climate change," said Crystal Benton, a campaign spokeswoman."

McCain doesn't see his position as a change from 2000, Benton said. He supported increased efforts to improve salmon migration. As for the listening to the science: "He's continuing to do that," she said.

The science is in, and it SCREAMS to breach the dams, but McCain is more worried about corporate profits than hunting and fishing.

LMAO Rick... :D

What some will resort to when they just don't get the attention the need/crave/desire... ;)

Or, we could cut and paste in a different order and say:

DEMOCRATS ARE AGAINST HUNTING AND FISHING:

"Barack Obama believes action must be taken to protect the salmon population and ensure its survival for generations to come," said Nick Shapiro, an Obama spokesman. "To that end, he believes all efforts to restore habitat must be exhausted before dam breaching is considered."

"Sen. Clinton will make every effort to restore wild salmon stocks," Baker said. "While she does not at this time favor breaching dams, she will place a far greater emphasis on habitat restoration."

Or, we could cut and paste in a different order and say:

DEMOCRATS ARE AGAINST HUNTING AND FISHING:

"Barack Obama believes action must be taken to protect the salmon population and ensure its survival for generations to come," said Nick Shapiro, an Obama spokesman. "To that end, he believes all efforts to restore habitat must be exhausted before dam breaching is considered."

"Sen. Clinton will make every effort to restore wild salmon stocks," Baker said. "While she does not at this time favor breaching dams, she will place a far greater emphasis on habitat restoration."

Are you against Habitat Restoration??? If you want to have WILD salmon, you have to have habitat. Idaho is full of habitat, we just can't get the fish back to the habitat.

If you have ever spent any time on the Salmon River system, you would know that we have plenty of habitat that has been "untrammled by man, where man is but a visitory" that the salmon still WANT to get back to, problem is the dams prevent it.

The Bush administration has gone to court and argued that the dams ARE part of the natural habitat..... |oo and McCain is agreeing with Dubya's failed policies. And Dubya paying off the tribes last week $900 million for more hatcheries shows they are not looking at "habitat", but consider a hatchery a "natural habitat" in the anti-fishing and anti-hunting GOP party of Bush/McCain.

"Sen. McCain supports preserving the role of the Snake River dams first, for energy security, and second, because of climate change," said Crystal Benton, a campaign spokeswoman."
So Jose, does this mean you are in favor of global warming ?

Since your post picks on McCain, can you explain the difference between his position and that of the democrats that you are giving a pass to ?
Thank you in advance for your insightful wisdom.

Just as all hunters and fishermen have feared, McCain just wants 4 more years of Bush's anti-hunting and anti-fishing policies.

The science is in, and it SCREAMS to breach the dams, but McCain is more worried about corporate profits than hunting and fishing.

So when Mcain doesn't want to breach the dams its bad, when a democrat doesn't want to breach the dams it o.k.?

I will be sure and check out the Salmon River, this June, while fishing for Salmon.

I will be sure and check out the Salmon River, this June, while fishing for Salmon.

I will bet you a $100 that you don't fish on the Middle Fork of the Salmon, that you don't fish on Big Creek. That you don't fish on Johnson Creek, that you don't fish on EFSF of the Salmon, etc... etc.... There is hundreds of miles of "habitat" that you are not allowed to fish, as the WILD fish from those streams, if there are any, are ENDANGERED.

You ARE the problem when you think that going to a cluster-f@ck on the Little Salmon with 500 other guys to catch 300 mutant hatchery fish is "salmon fishing".

Just a question, but are the steelhead in the same dire straits? I know that you can fish for them in lots of places but only keep the hatchery fish. Never understood why they seem to be doing better than salmon...

Per my USF&W biologist brother -

1) Steelhead spawn several times in their life. Salmon spawn once (as a rule), then die.

2) Steelhead are rainbows that live in the sea and spawn in fresh (anadromous). Most rainbow populations, even if landlocked, carry the anadromous genes. Some studies have shown that rainbows may even change their lifestyle. About 12% get “lost” and stray and about the same may switch. We have a “new” spawning area in Crab Creek where steelhead (we don’t know if they came from upstream as rainbows or from the Columbia as steelhead) have started to spawn.

3) When salmon come up to spawn, their body goes thru changes that make puberty seem like nothing. Kidneys and liver shut down. Live off fat reserves. Get a kype (hooked lip) and can’t feed.

4) Fishermen target salmon more. (I assume we’re talking Chinook vs steelhead==Pinks and chum aren’t doing bad. Also, many fishermen (Oregon, Calif, & Wash) snag salmon in pools-VERY illegal but…….

5) Different optimal condition requirements (temp, tolerance for pollutants, sediment behind dams, etc.) Chinook are closer to bull trout than rainbows although some bull trout have life stages more like rainbows. Also size; bigger = more energy expended to get over dams.

Per my USF&W biologist brother -

1) Steelhead spawn several times in their life. Salmon spawn once (as a rule), then die.

Steelhead in Idaho can only spawn one time, as there is NO possibility for downstream passage thru the fish killing dams for adult fish. The science is clear, the dams have to be removed.

I heard the same garbage six years ago when I started posting here. Just pull up all the old posts on breaching and look at them. Gee, the dams are still there.

LOL Ringer... :D

Those were some good ol' fights...

Plus the pissing matches over Steelhead not being the same as Rainbows but then again they were... :eek: :D

CH- Please pass along a thanks to your brother for the info. Seems to make a bit more sense now.

Will do, Tyler. He's the "head" biologist for the bull trout and most other fisheries for the USF&W in the State of Washington...but what does he know, eh? Damn college edjumacation. ;)

(I'm actually very proud of my big brother - he went back to college in his 40's, finished his BA and went on to his master's.)

Steelhead in Idaho can only spawn one time, as there is NO possibility for downstream passage thru the fish killing dams for adult fish. The science is clear, the dams have to be removed.

Be sure to let Obama and Hillary know that they are against hunting and fishing due to their stance against dam removal.

Check the regs, quite a bit of water to fish besides the Little Salmon. Never fished that river.

Back