Caribou Gear Tarp

Maybe this year I finally go out west--Seeking Recommendations

joelhunter

So, good news is I've been flush with work so far in January and February, and might be able to afford a trip out west financially, but time is going to be a struggle with a business and two small kids. That being said, money won't roll in until April--May. Also, in the mix is a new contract might be sending me to New Mexico in October, just for a few days, but I might be able to do a layover for 2-3 days. I also have a non-hunting brother who is in Prescott Valley, AZ who I'd like to see.

I want to do public land, and as an Indiana whitetail hunter, my weapons of choice are a compound bow and muzzleloader--sabots and scope. My primary desires would be chance to see some game I'm after, and some awe inspiring country. Big antlers/horns are much lower down the list (but still on the list). I would even be willing to skip big game, and chase birds, bunnies, and squirrels if that is a better option for a 3 day hunt.

Recommendations:

With the attitude you have you would have a great time in any of the western states. I've been out to Colorado and New Mexico. The mountains are insane to look at and walk around in. Maybe skip the hunting aspect and do a scout trip. Save the money for a tag for another year when you aren't crunched for time. No matter what state you chose, JUST GO!

With the attitude you have you would have a great time in any of the western states. I've been out to Colorado and New Mexico. The mountains are insane to look at and walk around in. Maybe skip the hunting aspect and do a scout trip. Save the money for a tag for another year when you aren't crunched for time. No matter what state you chose, JUST GO!

Good advice here!! Save the money this year and poke around an area and see if it would pan out on a future trip when can have more time.

(zadvorney..I'm originally from the Rochester area)

If you're content to shoot small game then money shouldn't be an issue. I love to hunt big game but in the past few years the tag fees have really increased to the point where I only apply in AZ as a non-resident and I have dropped all the other states for the most part.
I love hunting, travel, and adventure, and I can satisfy those desires with bird hunting. Small game licenses are usually real cheap.

Attachments

• 20140125_173956.jpg
    20140125_173956.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 20140119_204635.jpg
    20140119_204635.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 199
When you come to NM go to the Valle Caldera & check it out.
You will either become a elk nut or not.
Like Glasseye said you could get a small game or fishing lic & watch elk too.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back