Maybe some good news? Proposed BLM land purchase on the Musselshell River

It was homesteaded in 1900 By my Grandpa's Grandpa William Coon that passed in 1934. Williams Dad (William T) came and homesteaded just south of him a few years later at 84.
Great lineage there, Schaaf. William T. lived 1823 to 1923. Boy how I'd like to hear his stories!
You have much to live up to ... but by recent accounts, you're doing fine.

It’s crazy how there were 18 comment submissions to the BLM site when this discussion started over a week ago, and now there are a whopping 25.
Yeah, merely one a day is disappointing. One little inkling of a reasonable gun control measure ... and there's a dumpster fire of action! But sadly a big deal public land acquisition and it's ho-hum.

I submitted a comment in support of the plan, but after taking a more detailed look at the map, the purchase probably doesn't match RMEF's view or how it is being sold. If the maps are correct, the 73 Hunt Club is keeping the most productive part of their property (minus the pivot that I provided a picture of). The part that is most valuable is the forested river bottom. The huge section of BLM that is opened up by the purchase was hit hard by the fires in 2017. I have never seen that BLM, but I assume the trees showing in the satellite imagery are mostly gone. This limits the attractiveness of the area from an elk perspective, not that it was ever great for elk. It is probably a better antelope and mule deer area now.
I still support the purchase, but it is not as good as I thought it was at first glance.

I submitted a comment in support of the plan, but after taking a more detailed look at the map, the purchase probably doesn't match RMEF's view or how it is being sold. If the maps are correct, the 73 Hunt Club is keeping the most productive part of their property (minus the pivot that I provided a picture of). The part that is most valuable is the forested river bottom. The huge section of BLM that is opened up by the purchase was hit hard by the fires in 2017. I have never seen that BLM, but I assume the trees showing in the satellite imagery are mostly gone. This limits the attractiveness of the area from an elk perspective, not that it was ever great for elk. It is probably a better antelope and mule deer area now.
I still support the purchase, but it is not as good as I thought it was at first glance.
From the article: “...the acquisition would provide access to 8,040 acres of BLM land and 1,320 acres of State Trust lands now inaccessible to the public, according to the EA.”
That is huge. Yes, the most attractive piece of ground is the irrigated alfalfa, but there is elk all over the place on that property. I hunted it last fall and they were always just inside the 73 ground.

From the article: “...the acquisition would provide access to 8,040 acres of BLM land and 1,320 acres of State Trust lands now inaccessible to the public, according to the EA.”
That is huge. Yes, the most attractive piece of ground is the irrigated alfalfa, but there is elk all over the place on that property. I hunted it last fall and they were always just inside the 73 ground.
I agree. Unless you have some there to irrigate and cut the hay, the alfalfa field will only be an elk magnet for a few years. This is not something that BLM is equipped to do. Sure I will learn more about this come the end of the month.

That is my point. 73 is not selling that ground, except the section with the pivot. Not blaming them. Look at the map. They are keeping the prime hunting ground along the river. The rest of that acreage is up top, outside the drainage. Not as many elk there, even in a year with good moisture. The dry years? Forget it. They are in the willows along the river.

Yep, I submitted a comment the other day. Never have been there, likely never will, but opening up access is the only way we're going to be able to keep doing what we love.

The BLM issued a notice of decision to move forward with the purchase, but I got a call a couple days ago from one of the BLM employees working on it and they don’t want the cemetery and the current owners don’t want the cemetery. So, we’re in the process of acquiring just the cemetery from the current owners and excluding it from the BLM purchase.

The BLM issued a notice of decision to move forward with the purchase, but I got a call a couple days ago from one of the BLM employees working on it and they don’t want the cemetery and the current owners don’t want the cemetery. So, we’re in the process of acquiring just the cemetery from the current owners and excluding it from the BLM purchase.
You know the Egelands?

I met them when I was young but they wouldn’t remember. The only contact I’ve had was with the BLM and RMEF so far.
They are no bullshit type of people. We had quite a few ROW and a CTB on their place. Their elk ranch makes me drool every fall

Just saw that this proposal failed on the Montana/Dakotas BLM FB page. Giant disappointment. I'd be very curious to see how far apart the BLM/RMEF and the land owners were.

Here's the statement

"The Lower Musselshell River Acquisition Project (the 73 Ranch) --a joint effort by the BLM and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation since 2019-- will not proceed as of July 27, 2021.
The maximum amount the BLM could offer for the private lands did not meet the selling parties' expectations. The Miles City Field Office would like to thank the landowners for their patience and the opportunity to pursue this project on the behalf of the public. We also thank the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation for their support and partnership on such a unique project for eastern Montana.
Acquisitions provide opportunities for public access to public lands and for resource conservation and we look forward to working with interested partners like the RMEF on future access opportunities. There has been no change to any BLM parcels that already have legal access."

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back