May I ask a dumb question?

idnative1948

When you hunt (or draw) an area you have never been to or have not hunted for 30+ years, how many times/days do you spend scouting if you have the luxury to do so? And how far prior to hunt?

Up until now, was just a day hike to check bedroom/wallow areas.

Same thing happened to me last year hadn't been to the unit in 14 years give or take I went in two weeks before season started and just checked the old areas I found game in before old wallows/ bedding areas, surprising some of them were still there hung up some trail cams came back the week before season started pulled cams looked at them hung them in locations I hadn't hunted ever and went hunting on opener I really don't think a ton of scouting is needed if you knew the unit well as long as the wolves haven't messed with that area you should be okay... To sum it up go in a few times and find the game

Would go as early and often as you can to learn the whole place good. It will help you a great deal when the season starts.

There is only 1 Dumb question, and that is the 1 you don't ask.

I live in Michigan, so a lot of my scouting is done with maps and Google earth, and I do have 4 days before my hunt starts to scout.

if you can ?, scout as often as possible.

Kevin

i like a few days before season to scout if the area has short season. if its a zone with a longer season i just consider my first few days scouting with a weapon in hand. living near a east coast beach aint to good for scouting the mountains so have to make the 1 trip a long one. find what works for you, but in some places once rifle opens i dont think scouting matters nearly as much except for maybe finding hidden pockets and escape routes.

C

Scout as much as u like. It can be very enjoyable part of the hunt. Many times I scout more than I actually hunt. But don't spook ur hunt areas. Do alot of long range scouting and midday ventures into sensitive areas.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back