Caribou Gear Tarp

May Alaska Fishing

mrmedora

Looking for some recommendations for a one day fishing guide close to Anchorage. Wife and I will be up end of May and I got the green light to book a day trip! I've visited with Jeremy at Alaska Drift Away Fishing. He seems like a good guy, but it's a 3 hour drive to get there, which means we could only do a 1/2 day. Is this what I should expect, or is there any info here with some other options?

Really looking forward to this, even though I realize the fishing might be slow, and the weather could be iffy. But hey, I'm from ND so that's par for the course!

Thanks, fellas
Scott

You need to get up earlier... :)

What kind of fishing are you thinking about?

Check out Crazy Ray's out of Whittier. Its about an hour from Anchorage, you have to go a bit further out of port to fish, but the weather doesn't' cause as many cancelations in the Sound. Can't say the same for Seward or the Kenai, many a fishing trip gets canceled due to weather. The up side, when you get back to port, you only have an hour drive back.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=255437

The sound is beautiful, you'll see all sorts of whales, and other critters. Can't say the same for the lower Kenai. Seward is nice as well, and about two hours south, but you'll fish about the same water as you would form Whittier, you trade time in the boat for time in the car.

The way the weather has been here, its made me want to get out and go fishing. Snow's about gone!

Last edited:
We fly to Anchorage on Tuesday the 20th, have meetings through Friday the 23rd, and fly back the 25th. So the window of opportunity is very small, but really want to hit the Alaskan waters for that one day, weather permitting. As far as what do we want to fish for, I honestly don't care. As long as we can be on the water,with as short of a drive as possible, we will be happy.

Bambi, thanks for the reference, I'll check out Crazy Ray's tonight!

I'll echo Bambi's remarks. If you only have one day go out of Whittier. Weather will be what it is but that's no different than if you were going out of Seward, Homer, etc. Living in Anchorage, I can tell you fishing out of Seward is not a one-day ordeal in terms of leaving the house and getting back to the house. Sure, you can do it but all day in the boat plus 4.5 - 5 hrs of total drive time (plus processing your catch) will make for a very very long day.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back