Caribou Gear

Max price point for a chukar gun/boulder shank?

ismith

So, how much would you spend on a new/used chukar gun? What make/model would you be after?

How about a winchester model 50?
I mean it seems like an overly complicated action without a raise rib, so no, I wouldn't. But I lugged around a long barreled 835 super mag for years before I went with the Benelli. And honestly I can't hit the broadside of a barn with either but the Benelli sure is nice to carry

I mean it seems like an overly complicated action without a raise rib, so no, I wouldn't. But I lugged around a long barreled 835 super mag for years before I went with the Benelli. And honestly I can't hit the broadside of a barn with either but the Benelli sure is nice to carry
You can get them used for $300, so you can go Kurt Cobain or Joe Strummer on it if you miss a bird and still be in good shape financially.

I mean what's the goal? Have a shotgun to go hunting with? Or have a chukar gun? If you're just starting out any shotgun will work.
I thought the goal was to have a shankable gun while hunting Chuckar?

I mean what's the goal? Have a shotgun to go hunting with? Or have a chukar gun? If you're just starting out any shotgun will work.
This.

Chukar is lots of walking and vertical. Get a light gun that fits you well. A 28 gauge Ugartechea or even a 410 Fausti would work well here.

If you want a budget gun, then I'd go with a British 12 w/ 2" chambers. Sub 6 pounds and well made guns. Chukars ain't made out of titanium.

A nice german 16 gauge under 6.5 pounds would work as well.

This.

Chukar is lots of walking and vertical. Get a light gun that fits you well. A 28 gauge Ugartechea or even a 410 Fausti would work well here.

If you want a budget gun, then I'd go with a British 12 w/ 2" chambers. Sub 6 pounds and well made guns. Chukars ain't made out of titanium.

A nice german 16 gauge under 6.5 pounds would work as well.
not near enough lead flying with either of those options!

I love my newer Franchi affinity 20 ga. It’s taken a beating over the last 6 months.

ive used a custom purdey matched set all the way down to the savage 311,,,,,,,,

if you road sluice them after big snows, the 12 gauge 1100 with no plug in the magazine seems a favorite around boise,

been shooting a custom dehaan 20o/u, rocks and barbwire be damned,,,, 3 shells are for guys without good pointing dogs, my opinion only,,,,,

I shoot a Remington 870 20 gage Field Master. I love it, but I've always been a Remington 870 guy and I'm scared to switch. If I wasn't and was in the market for a new one I'd look at 2. The Benelli Montefeltro or the Franchi Affinity 3.

Whatever you buy is going to get scratched and dropped. I had a nice LC Smith Featherweight 16 I used to use to Chukar hunt. I finally retired it after falling multiple times on a steep frozen slope.

I have a 12 gauge Benelli Ultra Light (BUL) I bought to replace the LC Smith. I have used it for about 15 years. Lots of scratches and dings. Skidded off a 10’ cliff and landed on it last year. It’s still killing birds.

Attachments

• IMG_5762.jpeg
    IMG_5762.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back