Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mauser 98 action project

schmalts

What is the best caliber to rebarrel one in? I have an old GEW98 that has a crappy bore, a messed up stock, and a bad trigger group. So, I am thinking of making a project gun from scratch using the action. Looking to buy a custom made barrel and stock, and make a tack driver out of it.
How big of a caliber can the front receiver ring handle the pressure of?
I have a .270, a 243, a 300win mag, a 300WSM already so i dont want one of those.

I never messed around with a GEW (mainly vz-24's and BRNO's), but if you stick with most standard calibers it would work great. Bad part about the wsm's and mag calibers is getting the bolt face opened up. some smiths charge quite a bit. I'm assuming the old bbl is an 8MM? if so, the bolt is just fine for any of the -06 family and most short action rounds. Drop me a line and I'll tell you some places that I found to get really decent mauser parts. On e-bay there are a few people to stay away from and some that are great to deal with. Building mausers is my hobby that my wife hates...<grins>

The 25-06 sounds interesting, but i wonder if it is just cheaper to buy a Tikka t3 instead of buils one from an action

Depends on how extravagent you want to go. The 35whelen I got pictured over in the guns section I did for around $700 (that includes allgunsmithing).

My 9.3 is gonna run more cuz I'm getting it braked so the ole lady can shoot it comfortably.

I buy all my parts on ebay, auction arms, etc and I save alot of money that way.

Cant go wrong with the Tikka either

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back