Maui things to do…

Magnum Sherpa

A similar thread on another Hawaiian island inspired me to ask about Maui. My wife and I are headed there in 3 weeks. It is a 10th wedding anniversary trip of sorts, and our first trip without kids along in 8 years. What are some of your must sees? We have plans to do the Hana highway and the national park, among a few others things. I would especially be interested in hikes you recommend. I looked at a few hiking guidebooks, but I’ve heard those hikes can be very crowded and some of the information is out of date. Unfortunately no time for hunting this trip.

Dramamine before hana highway is very helpful. We drove counterclockwise around the island to have less traffic. Make sure your rental car company allows this, as the road is more treacherous. Honokalani black sand beach is worth the short hike. Twin falls is fun to hike and swim. Reputation for crowding but when we went we were the only ones there. On the back side of Haleakala there is a scenic overlook (don't remember the name), with a place to hike down the cliffs. This is a neat place to visit as well. For all hiking wear shoes, NOT sandals; volcanic rocks are sharp. Ocean kayaking + snorkeling for turtles was a lot of fun. If you are not staying at the Westin still check out the lobby! They also have a nice luau (2016; might have changed). Take advantage of eating fresh seafood while you are there.

Sunrise on Haleakala.
Don't bother to go unless you go for the sunrise because clouds will start forming and you'll miss out on the views.
We are planning sunrise up there our first full day. We figured the time change would make waking up early easier.
Hot tip. Sunset. Way less people. Plus you can stay and star gaze

We drove around both lobes of the island (to hell with the rental agreement). Take a sixer for after you get past the 7 sacred pools (not worth seeing).

Honolua bay snorkeling
Thai food in Hana, also red sand beach
I really liked hiking out past LA Perouse Bay.
Also the giant beach between Kihe and Maalaea was pretty cool in that there was like no one ever on it once you walked a bit.

The red sand beach is pretty cool but I will never make that drive again. We did it on the morning of the day we were flying out so that added to my anxiety but never again. We really enjoyed slaughterhouse beach. I’m sure there are better beaches but it was pretty low key

Food:
Mama’s Fish House on your anniversary.
Paia Fish Market every other night.

YES! Mama's Fish House. This was going to be my 'insider' suggestion. Guess it's not as secret as I thought.

Rent a Jeep if you can - all the big chains have them out there - and put the top down (but know how to put it up quickly on the Hana Hwy as pop up showers are likely).

Go to BJ's Pizza just for dessert, order the chocolate chip cookie dessert baked in a deep dish personal pizza pan, comes to you straight out of the oven and a pile of oozing melting ice cream on top. Then go hike!

Buy snorkel gear and bring it with you. From there google best spots to snorkel and hit them up for free. Buy the water proof phone cases so you can video and take pictures when you snorkel. I'm not a good swimmer so I go a cheap inflatable life vest and used that when I went out in the water.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back