Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Maui is burning.

Crickets?

Imagine Bozeman has been burnt to ashes and then your not allowed to go check on your rental home?

No rock concert benefits for the locals. No movie stars with free time to help rebuild. No Fox or CNN fundraisers for the folks in Bozeman.

Is it that the folks on Maui are native peoples?

Ready for the ban...
The whole situation is a joke! It's not that the folks are native it goes beyond that.

Crickets?

Imagine Bozeman has been burnt to ashes and then your not allowed to go check on your rental home?

No rock concert benefits for the locals. No movie stars with free time to help rebuild. No Fox or CNN fundraisers for the folks in Bozeman.

Is it that the folks on Maui are native peoples?

Ready for the ban...

I actually have seen quite a few benefit/fundraiser thingys rounding the internet, but I do think there is something to what you are saying.

I bet no one here knows anyone who lives in Lahaina. Lahaina is a vacation destination to 99.9% of the world and nothing else. Those who vacation there, can afford to vacation somewhere else. Not saying folks don't care, just that their relationship with the place is not one of a home.

Lahaina had a population of 13,000 -about the same as Belgrade, MT. Makes the 100+ fatalities all the more insane and sad.

Still looking for victims and the cleanup of debris will take a year. It will all take time, and money. Lots of money. Insurance companies and Federal government can help, but throwing money at something too fast usually results in fraud popping up. Rebuilding is an issue of it being an island 2000miles in the middle of the ocean. Even if you could get ships of lumber there, the number of skilled workers is limited. Tourism will ultimately be beneficial, but it might not be what people expect. It is hard to even image the devastation.

I have a good friend who is Hawaiian and his wife , I checked in with them when this went down. His wife had friends who lived in Lahaina , they survived but lost everything.

My sons college has a large Hawaiian population, he’s is good friends with a lot of the Hawaiians there and is member of the Hawaiian club at the college and danced in year end luau celebrations , I checked in with him also back when it happened, they didn’t loose anyone either from what I heard , Hawaii is a pretty small community, it affected everyone in someway

My ginger son following his own path , pretty proud of that kid
IMG_4483.jpeg

Last edited:
People not directly affected loose interest pretty quickly. Our fires here in Oregon, in 2020 were actually larger in scope and far more destructive in terms of property damage, than the fire in Maui. Not as much loss of life but several people did die. It made the news for a week or two then nothing. Maui should charge admission for people to come and look at the devastation. We called them "Lookie Lues." Car after car of people with smart phones aimed out the windows, driving slowly through out burned-out neighborhoods as some kind of form of entertainment.

Right now, those poor people over there are going through a stage where they are confused, hurt, angry and mostly frustrated. Right now, they just want to blame someone. State, local and federal Governments, power companies. It doesn't matter, it just feels like someone should have been able to prevent it from happening. Soon they will all take a collective deep breath and realize that it is time to just concentrate on recovery.

Lack of attention isn't all bad, at least for the individual people directly involved. I remember a tv reporter approaching me one day. He was visibly shaken because he had just asked one of my neighbors for an on-camera interview and the guy ripped him a new one. I explained to him that we were all just trying to put our lives back together and were frankly, sick of all the voyeurism.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back