MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Matt Rinella knocking it outta the park

I’m bummed he blocked me. I miss the entertainment. I never once commented negatively on his social media pages. He banned me after I tried to sell his silly blacktail novel here. He’s lurking .. 🤣
That is kinda weird he blocked you after that.

He looked like a little hobbit trying to pick up that blacktail. He must of really channeled all the hater energy to get that thing down that walking path.
Those videos are awkward for sure.

They should use dead animals for those world's strongest man competitions.

"Next, after a word from our sponsors, these men will have to each drag a dead bison up this hill with a pronghorn strapped to their backs."

Last edited:
It’s a completely traditional use of furs. Now trapping just for likes, views and sponsors on the other hand…
Okay, well what if the person is trapping, and would be trapping anyway, but decides to film it? Still follows laws and limits. Is he a bad guy?

Here's a quick bit from his site.

If this isn't far fetched to you, you better follow his instructions and never watch hunting shows, not be a consumer of basically every brand of hunting equipment, and stop supporting non profits, like DU, RMEF, NWTF, and countless other non profits that do any form of posting on social media for countless reasons.

Hunting TV
-Boycott hunting TV and other forms of hunting entertainment. It leads to
the commodification of wildlife and hunting access.
-Avoid (to the extent possible) companies that use hunting TV and social media
influencers to sell products.

Social Media
-Disincentivize (unfollow) hunters that display dead and dying animals to
strangers on social media.

Non-Profits
-Discourage hunting nonprofits from recruiting, retaining, and reactivating
hunters into our severely overcrowded pastime in their quest for dues and
hunting industry sponsors.

That's it? Far-fetched? Radical? (more on radical below)

Like I said in a previous post, I don't watch hunting shows, so that's easy for me. And I'm not sure what "hunting equipment" you speak of, but I don't buy "hunting clothes" since I prefer stuff made for the climbing/backpacking world. I don't bowhunt so have no need for camo. However, I don't judge you for wearing camo, but I think its important the hunting community hold companies that sell the stuff accountable to a high standard of public behavior. As to not recruiting hunters, works for me. If hunting isn't something that is "native" to you, you shouldn't be doing it anyway. Taking the life of an animal is not a small thing. I prefer the "organic" method where people become hunters through personal or family connections, not hero worship of some narcissist on Instagram who monetizes death.

While you might consider it splitting the hair fine, I don't consider a place like "hunt talk" a social media site where dead animals can't be displayed. Sharing a dead animal tastefully and respectfully on a hunting BB is like being at church with believers. No one here is a stranger to hunting. Putting crass chit on Facebook or Instagram is another thing, and that's where we do ourselves no favors. But again, how a dead animal is presented is important (I think it's important here too). Not sure how that should be considered far-fetched? You think the monetization and commodification of killing animals a good thing? I consider it almost modern day market hunting in another guise.

Also, if you read MR's bullet points carefully, he uses nuanced words like "avoid" and "discourage" - hardly the black and white language like you're representing it to be.

A little lesson on the word "radical" - comes from the Latin word "Radix" which means "root." When something is radical that means it is the essence or fundamental nature of a thing - the root. So really, calling someone like Matt Rinella (or me) radical, is a compliment. Thank you.

While I don't know Matt Rinella, and really know little about him, I'm basically 95%+ in his camp from what I see of him (I'd never heard of him until recently on this site). That he says many of the same things I've been saying for years put him right in my confirmation bias wheelhouse lol.

Last edited:
Okay, well what if the person is trapping, and would be trapping anyway, but decides to film it? Still follows laws and limits. Is he a bad guy?
I think he'd be running the real risk of a situation like Josh Bowmar and the speared bear, where his own wish for publicity gets an activity shut down for everyone else.

Do you really think showing animals in traps on film is going to go over well with the general public?

Now he’s pounding his chest about all the work he did for public land hunters when he was being buddies with trump jr and talking with Jason chaffetz close to a decade ago

I think he'd be running the real risk of a situation like Josh Bowmar and the speared bear, where his own wish for publicity gets an activity shut down for everyone else.

Do you really think showing animals in traps on film is going to go over well with the general public?
Trapping has been around forever. The general public doesn't have to watch the videos. Same way I don't watch videos about shit that bothers me or I don't want to see.

It's not like these videos are being played on TV at your local bar... they're YouTube videos...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back