Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mask up on federal lands

I don't like this much but it will not affect hunting. It will expire by time hunting season comes around. However, this kind of regulating belongs to the states to manage, not the federal government.

Kids aren't the ones having issues with masks...

True but missing the point I made, their parents make them wear them outdoors in the local parks where I’m at. I run hills 3 days a week here in a city park. Very large open area with 10-20 ft wide paths. No exaggeration I pass at least 50-100 people a week all wearing masks outdoors and ones with children they see me coming grab their kids and turn their backs to me and trip over their feet to get farther than 6 ft away like I’m a boogie man. Zero science says to do this for safety... it’s very depressing and I don’t think there’s anyway for this to not have a negative impact on children and even adults. Luckily my little one is only 9 months right now, just hope this is truly over after another 100 days.

There are 20,000 people hospitalized with COVID in your home state right now.

You're worrying about the check engine light coming on as you're trying to outrun a forest fire.

Yep and we have the most restrictions on businesses and mandatory masks outside in local city’s, how’s all that working out for us?

No exaggeration I pass at least 50-100 people a week all wearing masks outdoors and ones with children they see me coming grab their kids and turn their backs to me and trip over their feet to get farther than 6 ft away like I’m a boogie man.
Nothing wrong with this at all.

I see folks wearing a mask in their car, by themselves. Who cares? Being overly prudent isn't going to hurt near as much as being careless.

The average number of deaths per day from Covid 19 has exceeded the total number of deaths from 9/11 for the past six weeks. Yet, we still act like little inconveniences are the end of the world.

While this thread was intended to be a little light hearted, I do think @lastlight has a point.
My wife is a nurse - soon to be a doctor - in a NICU.
There is definitely some concern in the medical community over early development of baby's brains, and their future ability to take social queues when many have literally never seen a bare human face in their short, but entire life.
Those that study this stuff say that the early months and years are very critical to developing these skills for life.

I wasn't talking about at home.
There are 3-4 month old babies in the NICU that have never seen a human face.
I see. Would it be normal protocol for nurses and doctors to wear masks in the NICU? I'm not familiar at all (very thankfully so) with NICU protocol.

Why couldn't they have periodic facial exposure?

Some friends of ours had a son who spent considerable time in NICU, and even as a young adult he still has aversion to hugging and stuff. There are definite issues that can arise from lack of physical contact and such post partum.

I see. Would it be normal protocol for nurses and doctors to wear masks in the NICU? I'm not familiar at all (very thankfully so) with NICU protocol.

Why couldn't they have periodic facial exposure?

Some friends of ours had a son who spent considerable time in NICU, and even as a young adult he still has aversion to hugging and stuff. There are definite issues that can arise from lack of physical contact and such post partum.
Previously it was normal to wear a surgical mask periodically for certain circumstances, procedures or with babies with certain conditions, etc.

Now mask usage is universal from start of shift to end of shift.

While this thread was intended to be a little light hearted, I do think @lastlight has a point.
There is definitely some concern in the medical community over early development of baby's brains, and their future ability to take social queues when many have literally never seen a bare human face in their short, but entire life.
Those that study this stuff say that the early months and years are very critical to developing these skills for life.

Very solid and concerning point here. It’s unfortunate that the crowd of “mask are no big deal” don’t take into consideration all the negative side affects. Even as adults, it’s more than frustrating not being able to read facial social queues when having conversations especially outdoors.

I’m just sad about it, not a get off my lawn stubborn right winger against all mask wearing type at all here. The cure being mask up everywhere, shut down people’s businesses for a year, etc is going to have a far greater impact than if we just encourage those that are at high risk to stay home and wear a mask. And I find it very convenient those who are in support of these mandates are wealthy democrats, find me a restaurant owner who is in favor of loosing everything they have worked their entire lives for and I’ll shut up...remember I’m coming from a California view point where I’ve watched numerous of my favorite places to eat go out of business all the while Walmart’s, airlines, etc are allowed to run. Not as much of an issue in the red states.

Previously it was normal to wear a surgical mask periodically for certain circumstances, procedures or with babies with certain conditions, etc.

Now mask usage is universal from start of shift to end of shift.
Pre-covid, my kids were in the NICU for 4 weeks, we never wore a mask and the staff wore them rarely. But everyone was very particular about hand washing and sanitization. But masks were not ubiquitous which is strange in hindsight given how vulnerable preemies are with their underdeveloped lungs.

So, in many Asian countries, masks are pretty common place & accepted in daily life. What's the science say about babies in those countries?

Masks are temporary until enough of the population gets the vaccine. Around 70%, iirc.

So go get the vaccine and let's see just how pretty you all really are, sans mask.
Very solid and concerning point here. It’s unfortunate that the crowd of “mask are no big deal” don’t take into consideration all the negative side affects. Even as adults, it’s more than frustrating not being able to read facial social queues when having conversations especially outdoors.

I’m just sad about it, not a get off my lawn stubborn right winger against all mask wearing type at all here. The cure being mask up everywhere, shut down people’s businesses for a year, etc is going to have a far greater impact than if we just encourage those that are at high risk to stay home and wear a mask. And I find it very convenient those who are in support of these mandates are wealthy democrats, find me a restaurant owner who is in favor of loosing everything they have worked their entire lives for and I’ll shut up...remember I’m coming from a California view point where I’ve watched numerous of my favorite places to eat go out of business all the while Walmart’s, airlines, etc are allowed to run. Not as much of an issue in the red states.

Businesses going under due to a gov't issued mandate surrounding a pandemic either didn't go after PPP loans/grants or didn't have someone who was telling them about all of the aid out there for small businesses. Of course that aid lapsed under McConnel's rule in the senate, as more and more wealthy people figured out how to game the system,

signed, a middle class small business owner who votes for democracts.

So, in many Asian countries, masks are pretty common place & accepted in daily life. What's the science say about babies in those countries?

Masks are temporary until enough of the population gets the vaccine. Around 70%, iirc.

So go get the vaccine and let's see just how pretty you all really are, sans mask.

Businesses going under due to a gov't issued mandate surrounding a pandemic either didn't go after PPP loans/grants or didn't have someone who was telling them about all of the aid out there for small businesses. Of course that aid lapsed under McConnel's rule in the senate, as more and more wealthy people figured out how to game the system,

signed, a middle class small business owner who votes for democracts.
I think we'd get more vaccine acceptance if we told people the masks and lockdowns would go away if we get the shot. But the public health folks can't help but hedge on needing masks and regulations well past the vaccine stage. It's poor messaging IMO. It's got some of us nervous that they intend to find reasons to keep us in masks long term. Maybe to fight flu in future. I talk to vulnerable veterans daily and am shocked at how many of them are turning down a free vaccine. We need to be dangling a carrot in front of them to encourage vaccine acceptance.

I think the point is that I need to wear a mask, I'm a healthy 32 year-old with no comorbidities. Probably your text book asymptomatic carrier. If I suck it up, wear a mask, and forgo a lot of the fun things I like to do, then we wouldn't be in this pickle and probably wouldn't need to be as worried about everyone in the NICU being totally masked up.

Rich democrats... like Mike DeWine, Charlie Baker, Larry Hogan, Phil Scott and Chris Sununu?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back