Caribou Gear Tarp

Maps?

Tallman

I have shuffled through tons of maps and map website over the past several weeks. My question is, which map does everyone else carry on a DYI hunt that they cant do without.

What i come up with so far is onxmaps for my Gps and/or ipad. The onxmaps chip is pretty awesome as well as the app for ipad. but this doesnt allow me a handheld map to look at. they only come electronically.

The second thing i come up with is USGS web page where you can download and print of at home either aerial, aerial / topo combo or just plain topo. i did a trial run on this and downloaded a 7.5 min usgs map onto a usb drive and then took to a local print shop. i downloaded both the topo and the aerial maps. Decision is whether or not to print each of these maps for the whole unit and since i have never set foot in this unit. and i know the ones i dont buy will be the ones that i need.

3rd thing is Mytopo.com. i cant see a reason to pay for these maps right now when you can get the usgs. am i missing something?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
thks

I have yet to use them in the field but what has been recommended to me multiple times was to get the BLM maps that line up to the specific zone you will be hunting. Here is the link for Wyoming: http://www.blm.gov/wy/st/en/resources/public_room/gis/datagis/state/huntareas.html

You can just call them up and tell them what species you are hunting and what zone you are hunting and they will send you all of the paper maps (100k I think) that line up with that zone. Plus they are only $4 a piece and they will ship them to you for free. I got mine 2 days after I ordered them.

thanks gwhunter. i may be over thinking this map deal. but just want to make sure i am not missing anything

I just print out our own maps for my needs. Very easy to print our maps for a larger view right in Google Earth or in Basecamp (although with the chip you have to do a screen capture as Garmin has disabled printing directly form SD cards). I just customize my zoom level and location and know that I have the most accurate printed map available now as well. That might work for you.

Forest Service map on the gps, onX under that, and SAT imagery under the onX set to be visible at 800'. A paper FS map in the truck.

I have hundreds of USGS 7.5 minute maps I've accumulated over the years. I still take them whenever I go.
WD

You didn't say what state you are going to hunt. If it Colorado, I used my topo to order a non tearing, waterproof and grease pencil friendly map of the entire unit we were hunting in. I do not remember the cost but felt it was well worth it. Best feature was knowing that it would not fall apart or tear at the folds if it got wet. Good luck with your hunt!

If available in the area you are interested in, I really like the national geographic trails illustrated maps. Trails and roads are very clear to read on them (though trails are sometimes not up to date with where the actual trail is, they are close). Contours are also easy to see.
I've gotten the mytopo maps as well, but the ones I have gotten are difficult to read and not worth the money.
BLM and USFS maps are also good for showing public land vs private land. When I went to Wyoming, I used the huntinggpsmap (onxmap) maps for my gps and also used blm/national grassland maps to be able to see where I was as well as to get an overall view of where other public land was in relation to where I was. It was a good combo.

Thanks everyone. I did say I wasn't much on my topo but I did buy a unit map from them a month ago. It's not a bad map and its all one piece. But just not exactly what I needed for detail n it wasn't aerial or google earth.
Shootist I will be hunting NM unit 10 for elk

Thanks again

If you guys haven't check this out, you can buy Forest Visitor Map or US Topo maps($2-$4) via through a App call Avenza PDF map for mobile device. The app is free and there are lots of free maps you can download, including Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for the Forest Service . The app is a stand-alone app, thus does not need mobile network/data to run. It use the gps in your mobile device...... and did I mention the app was "FREE"!

Dod not know forest service maps were available for gps. Have to google that up.

You convert a geo referenced mrsid or tiff to a KMZ, then stick that KMZ in the custom maps sub folder on the sd card or gps. Mampc2mapc and G-Raster are the two programs I use. You get the geo referenced maps from the GIS dept of the Forest you're looking at. You'll need a 600 series GPS that can hold 500 tiles or a small map with the units that have a 100 tile limit.

Unit 10 can hold some nice bulls. I have an onXmap for my gps and I pair it with a Forest Service map. I've found that the Forest Service maps here in NM have much more detail than the BLM maps. They include more of the water tanks as well as more detail on some of the two track roads that the BLM maps fail to include. Plus the Forest Maps are weather proof unlike the BLM ones.

You convert a geo referenced mrsid or tiff to a KMZ, then stick that KMZ in the custom maps sub folder on the sd card or gps. Mampc2mapc and G-Raster are the two programs I use. You get the geo referenced maps from the GIS dept of the Forest you're looking at. You'll need a 600 series GPS that can hold 500 tiles or a small map with the units that have a 100 tile limit.

I see just the MVUM map and not the standard forest map on the forest site so far. Will keep digging.

Have a 550t so will have to use a portion to keep within tile limits.

Last edited:
If you guys haven't check this out, you can buy Forest Visitor Map or US Topo maps($2-$4) via through a App call Avenza PDF map for mobile device. The app is free and there are lots of free maps you can download, including Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for the Forest Service . The app is a stand-alone app, thus does not need mobile network/data to run. It use the gps in your mobile device...... and did I mention the app was "FREE"!

Very cool. Checked it out this morning. Wish they had all my areas but some is better than none. Till need to figure out that process WapitiBob mentiond, to get it on my GPS

Last edited:
K hunter I am with you. Wapitibob's method sound like a good plan Just not sure what exactly he is doing there.

My maps from MyTopo.com paid for themselves this past week just being about to pull them out and look at them while talking strategies on my scouting trip. So easy to just point to the area you are talking about and everyone is on the same page. I almost need a magnifying glass to read some of the names of the creeks and stuff since my map is printed at 1:50,000, but we all were using GPS, smartphones, etc. that we could look at zoomed in aerials and topos and stuff like that. If I was hunting by myself the hard copy map wouldn't be as critical.

Back