Maps

Brittany Chukarman

Which maps to you guys like best, forest service or BLM? Forest service doesn't show topo but may show access and trails better? I'm looking for Bridger-Teton and Medicine Bow NF areas.

I use MyTopo and National Forest maps for the big picture, and for detail I download USGS maps which I crop down to the specific areas I want on the computer, and printout them out 8.5x11 (both sides of a page). Then I laminate them. I ussually have about 30 maps when I head out on a trip to cover my primary plan and backup plans. Last year I tried putting the corresponding google earth image on the backside of my detailed USGS maps, It was pretty handy as we were way up in the National Forest and we were focusing our glassing on clearcuts, meadows and pine stringers.

That's an excellent way of really getting in on specific areas. I also do that with a Maptrails program specific for Wyoming and a DeLorme Top North American program that covers the entire continent. I used Google Earth for the first time last Fall on an AZ archery elk hunt my buddy drew and it was a great addition for finding the meadows the bulls were rutting in on that September hunt.

For us Topos are the way to go! We use USGS Topos in the 1-24000 7.5 minute styles! We use our GPS units settings to coincide with the UTM Grids so they both read exact, this is great for land navigation. Of course we never leave camp without its companion compass! Good Luck!

ElkNut1

I like the BLM maps for ownership purposes but definately need the USFS maps with the road closure updates... These seem to change yearly and I like to know where the most roads are closed... that's where I like to hunt!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back