PEAX Equipment

Male or Female??

I know this has been brought up before, but I was just curious what you hound hunters have had the best luck with? My best hound to date was a female Walker, but I have a young male Black and Tan that may rival her soon. What has been your experience?

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

The best hound I have ever had was a male. It seams that I have had more females that were good, just not the best ONE. When I buy a pup from someone you can bet it will be a female. I think I have a better chance of getting a good dog w/ a female.

[This message has been edited by Mountain Boomer (edited 01-25-2001).]

BCA-I think with me its a tossup. I had a really good black and tan female, and a really good croos bred male, and both are gone now. Good question, and I cant answer which was the best. bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

chambliss_4Logoboy.jpg

This is a tuff one.I have had 4 outstanding males.A black and tan a bluetick and 2 walkers.I also have had 3 outstanding females..A bluetick A walker and A redbone.
If I had the chance to clone only one it would be the Bluetick male.If he opened on a track you better get ready for a hunt.
Sure wish I owned an outstanding hound now.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

This is a hard subject for me to write about. last week I lost my best dog that I ever had. It should have been a great day 4 inches of new snow and a screamen hot track. we turned the dogs loose and this is when it all went south. Not ten minutes after we turned them out I heard the worst sound I ever heard form a hound. It's getting hard to write but here goes. we ran around the edge of a sand stone bank to find five other hounds,cattracks and blood. When I walked over to see where preacher was I could tell him and the cat both went over the edge. well it was a good 100 ft down to where my best dog and long time hunting companion lay. the only good news to come from this is we got the cat the next day. now I can tell you My best dog was a walker plot cross that probably was in on 150 or so treed cats. It will be a long time before I here any sweeter music than his.

------------------
when the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

CatChaser-Dont know if youve been formally welcomed or not but Welcome to Moosies site. Sorry about your dog! We lost my best red dog last year to a lion , but the lion got him, instead of the cliff. I hate it when that happens to anyone! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

chambliss_4Logoboy.jpg

My best By Far has Been a Male Brindle Plott. he could run a dry track scream with a mean cat and more often than not i had to pull him from the tree. And like you Cat chaser and Bcat as well he went doin what he did best fighting cats. My preference today is to run females if i am runnin with unknown dogs( Like a friends ) but when it just my dogs i mix it up

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

Cat Chaser, welcome to Moosie's. I am sorry to here about your dog. I know it hurts to loose a long time friend. Keep your spirits up.

Welcome to Moosie's forum Cat Chaser, sorry to hear about your dog. Listening to you guys talk about lions, gets my blood perking.

BCA my experience is with bears, bobcats, & coon. I would have to say it is an even mix of males and females. One thing I do know the males almost always have more grit and they seem to go longer before you have to rest them. Another thing, it almost never fails about the time I really want to hunt a female she comes in heat.

Having said that, I will now contradict myself, and say that some of my best hunts included a female.

------------------
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe.

[This message has been edited by BullHunter (edited 01-26-2001).]

I think I would have to say a male dog.I have had good luck with both sexes,but I have had more good males than females.And,like Bullhunter said,females always come in heat at the worst possible time that they can.

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back