Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Maintaining your rig

Being a dad of teenagers/young adults, part of my job description seems to include part time fleet manager. My oldest is in her last year of undergraduate and is planning on a one year master's degree. Her car needs new brakes, struts, and shocks. Shop quote was about $2100 for all. I took pity on her and told her I'd do the brakes and cover parts, and she could pay for struts and shocks and I'll do the install. Total bill will be south of $900. Wish this project would have surfaced prior to hunting season.....
Hopefully you can get a complete strut assembly and avoid the spring compressor and building new struts from individual pieces. That makes it a much nicer job IMO.
Good on you for taking care of your family’s fleet. I’m sure it’s a lot of work. I only have my truck and my wife’s suv and it’s enough to keep me busy.

Hopefully you can get a complete strut assembly and avoid the spring compressor and building new struts from individual pieces. That makes it a much nicer job IMO.
Good on you for taking care of your family’s fleet. I’m sure it’s a lot of work. I only have my truck and my wife’s suv and it’s enough to keep me busy.
I’ve been looking at the quick strut option. Obviously, you get what you pay for. She’s on a budget, but also wants a new car next year and doesn’t want to drop 6-700 on shocks. I understand, so I’m letting her mull it over.

Brakes are done.

Last weekend I changed out the oil pressure sensor on the wife's Wrangler. what a job! Had to pull the intake manifold off to get to it, and ended up nicking a coolant hose that was under there as well so had to replace that. Replaced the intake gaskets as well, since I was there, as well as the thermostat, since I had to drain the coolant to replace the hose. Not a fan of Chrysler's design on the 3.6L V6 in this regard!
On my Ram, when looking into the engine compartment, it looks like there's 1/2 an engine there so it's a lot easier to work on. Not that I've had to do anything to it yet.

I do my own preventive maintenance such as changing fluids and filters, plugs, etc. I put suspension lifts in the last three trucks. I don't have the expertise or patience to tear into a tranny or a motor.

I’ve been looking at the quick strut option. Obviously, you get what you pay for. She’s on a budget, but also wants a new car next year and doesn’t want to drop 6-700 on shocks. I understand, so I’m letting her mull it over.

Brakes are done.

The ride in the Monroe quick struts first on road vehicles is impressively nice for what you spend, in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back