MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Made Jerky. When Is It "Done"?

emrah1028

Made deer jerky for the first time tonight. I used a store-bought seasoning from Gander Mountain. I cut the strips pretty thin, but there were some thicker pieces (1/4" or so). I used the right amount of seasoning and cure, then dried/cooked them in the oven at 200 degrees for about 3 hours.

Now, most of the thin pieces are dried all the way through. The thicker pieces are still moist. Not quite juicy, but moist. When I tear it open, I can see the seasoning inside and it "looks" done.

The only other jerky I have to compare it to is store-bought flat strips that are super dry. Should I have kept these in the over longer? Will it go bad quicker than totally dry jerky?

Emrah

I don't think it matters too much, just depends how you like it. I do like to get my jerky up to 180 deg. for a while to kill any bacteria.

Other than that, I find that a little spice and and dryness helps slow people down...especially my kids, they'll eat a whole bag in minutes.

Last edited:
Keep it in longer is your question? Depends how you like it? I would say no, I like it moist and think the cure works on it a bit while in the bag, but the dam stuff never lasts more than 2 days anywho. More like 2 hours.

I use Hi Country seasonings and like it a lot! Cut my strap or roast into 3/8 to 1/2" strips. Never tried using burger or the shooter. Had a dehydrater, but the oven I find works well with a rack, oven on 200 degrees. I flip the meat pieces and check it every ~hour, and I cook it for 4-5 hours. I am novice, but that process makes good jerky boy!

Sounds to me like it is just fine. I think the cure helps to preserve it, otherwise I would like to have mine less salty. I usually make mine with ground meat and a jerky shooter because that way I can use all the small pieces. And I like it a little softer too. I usually make a big batch and vacuum pack it into serving sizes and keep it in the deep freeze.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much perfect the way it is. I've already eaten... well, let's just say the batch has been well sampled. I'm pretty impressed with my first efforts, if I do say so myself!

Emrah

I'll flex the pieces of jerky. If they don't look wet and are pliable, they are done. When you hand cut jerky, you will have more inconsistent pieces and will need to babysit and remove jerky at differing points in the process. (I use a meat slicer to improve consistency of cut)

I also do some ground jerky and I have a press for that task. (I get consistent thickeness and it is already pre-shapened.

I use my own seasoning mix so I am not familiar with Hi MTN instructions. I cure my jerky meat in the fridge for 24 hours prior to drying/smoking. (Allowing cure to do it's job).

Just finished a batch this weekend!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back